Rothenburg ob der Tauber


Advertisement
Published: May 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Frankfurt to Rothenburg ob der Tauber


Our hotel - outsideOur hotel - outsideOur hotel - outside

Hotel Goldener Greifen, outside.

Rothenburg ob der Tauber

 Europe » Germany » Rothenburg Ob Der Tauber By kes ohio
May 19th 2007
Frankfurt to Rothenburg ob der Tauber We drove from Frankfurt to Rothenburg ob der Tauber, a small walled city that has maintained its Medieval style. The roads were tiny, cobbled, and winding, and the navigation system was not very helpful once we got into the Altstadt (Old town). We drove around in circles for quite a while navigating through spaces that looked like a car would not fit through! But we eventually found our hotel - the Goldener Greifen. We stayed in Rothenburg one night. I think that was plenty. There are a lot of pretty sights, but there's not much to do except walk around the city, walk along the wall, and eat some sneeballen. Sneeballen (snowballs) were little confections at bakeries all over the city. We saw at least three bakeries who claimed to have originated sneeballen. They were neat looking, but we were pretty disappointed by the taste!


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Our hotel - insideOur hotel - inside
Our hotel - inside

Hotel Goldener Greifen, inside. We had a great view over our hotel's restaurant courtyard and the clay roofs of the city.
Marktplatz - RathausMarktplatz - Rathaus
Marktplatz - Rathaus

The Marktplatz is the main square of the town. This is the Rathaus. There is a "Rathaus" in just about every city in Germany. It is the town hall.
Marktplatz - inside the Rathaus towerMarktplatz - inside the Rathaus tower
Marktplatz - inside the Rathaus tower

There was a tower of the Rathaus that you could climb; this is the inside of the tower roof.
Marktplatz - RatstrinkstubeMarktplatz - Ratstrinkstube
Marktplatz - Ratstrinkstube

This building was right next to the Rathaus. It was another government building but it came with a story... Rothenburg was invaded by a neighboring fiefdom led by Count Tilly. On a whim, Count Tilly said he would spare the city if someone could drink a tankard of wine in one draught. The town mayor completed the task and the city was saved. During festivals, the event, now called the Meistertrunk, is reenacted.
Rothenburg - view from the wall 6Rothenburg - view from the wall 6
Rothenburg - view from the wall 6

This picture was taken through a hole in the wall where archers would shoot arrows.
Rothenburg - view from the wall 7Rothenburg - view from the wall 7
Rothenburg - view from the wall 7

This picture was taken through a door in one of the gates.
Rothenburg park gate 1Rothenburg park gate 1
Rothenburg park gate 1

After we walked along the wall, we went to a really nice park.


Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0491s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb