The weather threatens to be frightful but our day turns out delightful


Advertisement
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Oberammergau
April 26th 2018
Published: June 2nd 2018
Edit Blog Post

After spending the night at the Hotel Wittelsbach in Oberammergau and enjoying their nice breakfast buffet we were on the road by 9:00 am. Again I had an itinerary for the day planned in my head and again it all went out the window. Initially I had hoped to go up to the NATO School in Oberammergau to see if I might check out the old WWII underground bunkers that once housed the research facilitie... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 65, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Ettal monasteryEttal monastery
Ettal monastery

The skies weren't mirroring the colors of the Bavarian flag today but at least the rain was holding off. And so far the tour buses don't seem to have added this place to their itineraries yet.
We almost stayed hereWe almost stayed here
We almost stayed here

Back when I first started booking this vacation I had made reservations to stay here in Ettal at the Ludwig der Bayern luxury hotel. It was more than double the cost of rooms I had booked elsewhere on the trip, but I was hoping for a big tax refund this year. It didn't happen and the down payments for the car also cut into the budget. In the end, I was more than satisfied with the Hotel Wittelsbach in Oberammergau. Maybe next time we can come in the winter, stay here and use the indoor pool and sauna.
LuftmalereiLuftmalerei
Luftmalerei

Literally "air painting", this style of home decoration originated in Oberammergau and is popular throughout southern Bavaria. I would love to add this architectural element to our house.
Ettaler HefeweizenEttaler Hefeweizen
Ettaler Hefeweizen

It seems that they added "Benediktiner" to the name since we last visited. Gail continued to drink the wheat beers we both loved but my fragile stomach was not agreeing. I had to switch over to lager beers for most of the rest of the trip.
Ettaler Kloster BiereEttaler Kloster Biere
Ettaler Kloster Biere

The lagers went down smoothly. Thyere's just no comparable American beers despite what every micro-brewery tries to tell you. It must be the mountain water that makes the Bavarian beers so perfect.
A little religion after imbibingA little religion after imbibing
A little religion after imbibing

We finished off our third round of beers and then walked over to the monastery church for the evening service.
A patch of blue peaks throughA patch of blue peaks through
A patch of blue peaks through

Vespers would be starting any minute so no time to take many pictures.
What is he saying?What is he saying?
What is he saying?

The entire vespers service was conducted in Latin. Fortunately a parishioner in front of us knew the drill so we watched him to figure out when we should rise or be seated.
Back to the old reliableBack to the old reliable
Back to the old reliable

When your hungry in Germany, order the Käsespätzle.
That went down fastThat went down fast
That went down fast

We didn't bother to pause and take a picture of our free Schnapps from the chef. We were afraid they might take it back. This serves as evidence that we did enjoy it.
An early evening stroll through OberammergauAn early evening stroll through Oberammergau
An early evening stroll through Oberammergau

After closing down the town of Ettal we drove back to our home base. This time the parking lot behind the hotel was full. I found a space, but it was on the other side of town. We took a roundabout route to get back to our room.
No time for Käthe Wohlfahrt this tripNo time for Käthe Wohlfahrt this trip
No time for Käthe Wohlfahrt this trip

We pretty much already have all the Christmas ornaments and decorations we could ever need so neither of us shed a tear about the world's best Christmas store being closed.
Window shoppingWindow shopping
Window shopping

We might not be interested in buying anything but it didn't keep us from admiring the goods in Wohlfahrt's window.
 Holzschnitzerei Holzschnitzerei
Holzschnitzerei

Oberammergau is renowned for its wood carving artists. Most of their work is religious and rather expensive. Most of the work is quite amazing.
Sausage vending machineSausage vending machine
Sausage vending machine

This was a first for me: a streetside vending machine stocked with Weisswürst, Bockwürst, Brats, curried chicken and pork BBQ.
The town is still desertedThe town is still deserted
The town is still deserted

I don't know where all the people owning those cars filling up the parking lot went, but none were out taking the air on this beautiful Bavarian evening. This hotel looked to be closed.
Will that fit in my suitcase?Will that fit in my suitcase?
Will that fit in my suitcase?

This is a very common theme among the wood carving crowd. I'm not sure what the significance is of this guy puffing away on his pipe while hauling junk on his back. You see it everywhere.
St Peter and Paul ChurchSt Peter and Paul Church
St Peter and Paul Church

No, we did not go into this one. We need to save something for the next trip.
Heavenly voices above usHeavenly voices above us
Heavenly voices above us

While we traipsed around the church graveyard we could hear singing coming from inside the church. It must've been Thursday night choir practice because when I looked up at the steeple I could see lights on and silhouettes of seated people. An organ accompanied them. Maybe these are the folks that owned those cars in the parking lot.
Serving the local boozeServing the local booze
Serving the local booze

The night before when we both ordered Ettaler beers at dinner our waiter in Oberammergau screwed-up his face and told us he doesn't care for the neighboring town's beers. Maybe he's like to trade places with us.



Tot: 0.257s; Tpl: 0.038s; cc: 19; qc: 91; dbt: 0.1343s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb