BMW European Delivery - Day Three


Advertisement
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Nuremberg (aka Nürnberg)
February 16th 2015
Published: March 10th 2015
Edit Blog Post

This would be one of our few days with a time constraint. Because we were flying home the following Sunday when Loginout would be closed and because Mr. Pennypincher had no interest in forking out a couple extra Euro to pay the penalty for the privilege of having someone do the paperwork on their day off, I arranged to do the processing on the one weekday we would be passing anywhere near Munich S... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

The Terrifying FountainThe Terrifying Fountain
The Terrifying Fountain

Gail felt that this fountain which was supposedly intended to depict a few different fairy tales in one setting was bound to scare the bejeezus out of little kids. People were being stabbed, decapitated, and eaten by monsters. It didn't seem to bother this little kid though.
You Call that "Scary"?You Call that "Scary"?
You Call that "Scary"?

Maybe she had a point.
The Southeast TowerThe Southeast Tower
The Southeast Tower

After Gail got her shopping kicks in the pedestrians-only zone, we walked down toward the opposite end of town. We were scouting possible dinner spots and trying to find the hotel we stayed in 30 some odd years ago.
Trying to Find Our Way Back to the HotelTrying to Find Our Way Back to the Hotel
Trying to Find Our Way Back to the Hotel

We found a Lidl where we loaded-up on drinks, candy, sauce mixes and other sundries to take back home. By now our arms were pretty-well laden with food and medicinal supplies so we decided to head back to the hotel to drop off our purchases.
We Must Have Walked Farther Than I Thought.We Must Have Walked Farther Than I Thought.
We Must Have Walked Farther Than I Thought.

Lugging that heavy Lidl bag with all our supplies was beginning to cut off the circulation in my fingers but on and on we walked trying to find the tower gate we used to get inside the walled city.
Almost BackAlmost Back
Almost Back

We found an exit from the old part of town to the southern new town but we were still many nlocks away from the Smile Hotel. As we drew closer we noted a large presence of helmeted and riot gear-laden police. Behind their advance up the street a contingent of Hippie types followed chanting some kind of nonsense and carrying hand made signs. I have no clue what they were protesting but whatever side they came down on I'm syre I'd disagree. A slovenly bunch if I ever saw one.
The Best Shop Window in Old NurembergThe Best Shop Window in Old Nuremberg
The Best Shop Window in Old Nuremberg

We passed by this display numerous times over the two days we were in Nuremberg. They had some very realistic looking toy trains and remote control cars. It made me regret never getting into this kind of hobby when the kids were younger. Taking it up now would be creepy.
Our Home Away from HomeOur Home Away from Home
Our Home Away from Home

This became our German version of Moe's - if we had stayed a week we might have eaten here 7 times.
Let's Start with Some LiquidsLet's Start with Some Liquids
Let's Start with Some Liquids

We started the night at Karl's Brückla just right with these Hefeweizens. Who needs a bread appetizer when you can drink this yeasty liquid bread instead?
Käsespätzle for GailKäsespätzle for Gail
Käsespätzle for Gail

Gail developed an affinity for this dish on our last visit to Germany at Christmas in 2013. This would be her second order in the first three nights we were in Germany. The next night she ordered it again. The home-made onion rings were awesome.
Jägerschnitzel mit Pommes FritesJägerschnitzel mit Pommes Frites
Jägerschnitzel mit Pommes Frites

I too had a favorite dish - veal cutlet covered in a mushroom gravy based on red wine. I think I had it at least 5 times on our trip. And I made my own version once we got home. Love it.
Just So I Don't ForgetJust So I Don't Forget
Just So I Don't Forget

In case we ever make it back to Nuremberg this place will be a must-see again. Great food and beer at a reasonable price.
A Night Walk in the Old TownA Night Walk in the Old Town
A Night Walk in the Old Town

The Pegnitz River is crossed by numerous bridges in Old Nuremberg. This seems to be where the town's prime real estate is located. Some of the apartments overlooking the river looked like million dollar homes. One even had its own pebble beach leading to the riverbank.
Quite CharmingQuite Charming
Quite Charming

Things closed early on this Monday night. Maybe that was a good thing as it kept us from buying anymore stuff we didn't absolutely need. Already I was beginning to worry about how much our suitcases were going to weigh.
Now I Wish We had Stayed LongerNow I Wish We had Stayed Longer
Now I Wish We had Stayed Longer

We cut our walk short because it was getting much colder. Besides that my feet were beginning to ache after a whole afternoon of walking on concrete and stone streets.
An Old Sacred CowAn Old Sacred Cow
An Old Sacred Cow

Even though we had meandered through dozens of twisting old town streets we had no difficulties in finding our way back to our hotel. We took advantage of the hotel Wifi and took care of a few internet issues while watching the big Mardi Gras (Fasching) TV spectacular.



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 21; dbt: 0.0419s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb