Rhein and Rain


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Baden-Württemberg
October 9th 2008
Published: October 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Mannheim to Baden-Baden


Nuclear Towers in the DistanceNuclear Towers in the DistanceNuclear Towers in the Distance

Mysteriously beautiful
After another wonderful hotel breakfast we made our way out of Mannheim and on towards Baden-Baden. Though it would take us a few days to get there. Day one out of Mannheim took us along dyke paths and muddy forest roads. We rode through on and off rain showers as we navigated the bike path signs southward. The riding was relatively uneventful. We rode through the somewhat boring, flat river valley mostly without any interesting scenery. The forests were pretty, and the distant hills of the Schwarzwald were nice to see when they showed themselves. The views were mostly uninspiring.

We set up camp in Sondernheim at a strange campground. There were very few people there, we think that the place was closed except for a few (maybe permanent?) residents. They let us camp for free, but there were no showers. So we did the usual: set up the tent, cook, eat, sleep.

The next morning we decided to make a liesurely stroll towards Baden-Baden and camp once more before arriving. So we meandered south and eventually made our way to Muggensturm. The scenery along the way was much of the same. Not much to talk about there. We arrived at the campground and found it open for business. We paid for a site and were directed to a small, sloping field where we could set up. It rained a little while we set up the tent, and a lot during the night. Our tent kept us mostly dry.

Excited we awoke with only a short 30 km ride into Baden-Baden. This was a nice ride. Baden-Baden is nestled inside the first few hills from the Rhein flatlands. Our ride took us up and down some nice hills as we rode through little towns at the doorstep of the Black Forest. When we came to a little babbling brook emerging from the hills we followed it upstream through a nice park until we came to the tourist information booth. There we made a reservation at a cheap hotel and we cruised on in to Baden-Baden!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Resting Time for BikiesResting Time for Bikies
Resting Time for Bikies

While we take time to relieve ourselves.
The BeautyThe Beauty
The Beauty

A nice spot to stop for a snack.
And the BeastAnd the Beast
And the Beast

Sometimes the Rhein felt like the path to Mordor...


10th October 2008

Black Forest
Hey Sara and Paul, Have you seen any root men carvings yet? This is where the idea of Knotheads came from. I would love to get some pictures if possible. Holly

Tot: 0.142s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0489s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb