Stuttgart Day One


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Baden-Württemberg » Stuttgart
July 16th 2016
Published: July 16th 2016
Edit Blog Post

In 1956, a landmark was constructed in Stuttgart, Germany. At 711 feet tall, the Fernsehturm Stuttgrt, or the Stuttgart TV tower, dominates the city skyline, even though it doesn't technically sit within the downtown area, but rather on a hill adjacent to the main city footprint. It was the first of its kind and a model for others around the world. For decades it has been closed and shuttered. Just recently, it has reopened as a tourist mecca for this city. From its 504 foot high observation deck, one can see for miles around. It overlooks the city, the surrounding countryside, and on a clear day with the coin operated binoculars, one can even spot yesterday's destination, Hohenzollern Castle. We thoroughly enjoyed the magnificent views from atop this most prominent feature. It was like being at the top of the Space Needle with no other buildings around.

From here, it was off on an urban hike of sorts. The kids handled the walk brilliantly and were rewarded with a mall, lots of food options, and even a Starbucks at the end of it all. We spent a couple of hours in downtown Stuttgart on this beautiful Saturday before heading back up to the charter bus for the hour long trip home. Thankfully, we made our way back up hill via train as opposed to on foot.

Tomorrow is a free day with families. I have heard rumors of trips to the Bodensee, back to Stuttgart, or some nearby locale know as "Monkey Mountain", take that for what you will. Regardless, it will no doubt be a great day for all! We will meet up again early on Monday morning for a true highlight of this trip... Europa Park!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.327s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0629s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb