BMW European Delivery - Day Seven


Advertisement
Europe » Germany » Baden-Württemberg » Schwäbisch Hall
February 20th 2015
Published: March 26th 2015
Edit Blog Post

No need to bore you with the details of another massive buffet breakfast. As you have probably surmised by now, I experience the culture of a land by what I can toss into my belly. And I certainly appreciate the German culture. Checking out of the hotel I was more than a little bummed to realize that we were entering the final phase of this European Delivery operation. Henceforth the rest of t... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

The Ice Cream Shop is BusyThe Ice Cream Shop is Busy
The Ice Cream Shop is Busy

Once we crossed the second bridge which took us off the park island we were back on the busier side of the river. An ice cream joint had set up outside tables and many of the locals took advantage. We considered sitting down to order a beer but there were no open seats. Nor were we sure that they even served beer. We decided to wait for dinner.
Europeans are Definitely Sun-WorshippersEuropeans are Definitely Sun-Worshippers
Europeans are Definitely Sun-Worshippers

Sitting outside in mid-winter eating ice cream just because the sun is out seems insane to me. I love ice cream too, but it's a dish best served cold. And inside.
We Sort of Remembered this RoadWe Sort of Remembered this Road
We Sort of Remembered this Road

As we hiked back up the hillside through the old town we started to think we might have been down this road before. It looked vaguely familiar. But it was really bugging me that I remembered so little about our first visit here. Old age sucks.
Where's the Escalator?Where's the Escalator?
Where's the Escalator?

The last time we were here I probably didn't even notice that was such a steep uphill climb. Now it seemed a Herculean task to get to the top of this mountain. Thank God we live on the side of a steep hill at home. I've learned how to pace myself.
St, Michael's ChurchSt, Michael's Church
St, Michael's Church

We should've gone inside. Reading TripAdvisor's reviews of this old church from the 1500's I've learned it contains a number of interesting works of art. Those steep steps scared me off. Funny thing is, the church looked much smaller than I remembered it.
That is One Seriously Steep HillThat is One Seriously Steep Hill
That is One Seriously Steep Hill

What possessed those medieval knuckleheads to build a town and this particular house on so steep a slope? I'm getting an angina attack just looking at it. That big building is "The House of the Farmers".
That's Where We Stayed in 1980-somethingThat's Where We Stayed in 1980-something
That's Where We Stayed in 1980-something

The whole facade of the hotel has changed as has the driving situation in this part of town, but that half-timbered building with the maroonish trim is the hotel we stayed at long ago. We loved it there and still remember it fondly. Where those wooden doors are right now was the entrance to an inner courtyard where we parked our rental car.
More Outdoor DiningMore Outdoor Dining
More Outdoor Dining

The cafe next to our old hotel had many folks siiting outside soaking up the sun while sipping there cocktails (no one with beer). Our old hotel entrance is right where all the shrubbery stands. What had been the entrance to the parking courtyard was now the main entrance to the hotel. The desk clerk inside told us to look around and we did. Nothing inside looked familiar at all.
Another Fascinating Side StreetAnother Fascinating Side Street
Another Fascinating Side Street

Just behind the Goldener Adler we chanced upon this quaint old street. Once again there were few people around. For some reason a steady flow of cars soon began coming down the supposedly pedestrian only street. I missed that knife store as we were walking toward that tower. I always like to bring home a good Henckel or two after a German trip.
Heading Up to VellburgHeading Up to Vellburg
Heading Up to Vellburg

Once we found the parking lot again we took the car for another ride to nowhere. By shear luck we came up on this imposing little castle in the town of Vellburg.
This is Worth Exploring On a Future TripThis is Worth Exploring On a Future Trip
This is Worth Exploring On a Future Trip

Since it was just after 5 pm and it was getting dark we didn't tarry in Vellburg. What's in this frame is basically the entire town. Getting here required driving down what looked like another bikepath over cobblestones then across a narrow one lane bridge under that tall tower. Had there been a restaurant indicated on either of our GPS devices we would have gladly stopped here for dinner.
I Think This is Someone's HouseI Think This is Someone's House
I Think This is Someone's House

The old tower that we drove through was not posted with any signs indicating that it was a museum, historic site or commercial enterprise. I could see somebody in the upper left window in pajamas or a housecoat so I assume it was a private apartment. What a view they'd get!
This Time I Remembered to Take a Picture of DinnerThis Time I Remembered to Take a Picture of Dinner
This Time I Remembered to Take a Picture of Dinner

But I neglected to get the name of the place where we ate or to take any pictures of our beers. I was starting to get a little worn out I think.



Tot: 0.192s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 24; qc: 90; dbt: 0.1128s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb