in training


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Baden-Württemberg » Heidelberg
July 5th 2007
Published: July 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Wednesday evening we all caught the train for Heidelberg - an easy trip. Got a cab to our hotel - not expensive, a short trip, formula one driver. I guess this hotel is alongside a busy road, as, in spite of double glazed windows and roller shutters, we each have a pair of earplugs beside the bed... We have arrived in time to find a Pizzeria near the hotel that opens until 11pm - Jo hit it off with the proprietor - being the only one with some Italian. Thursday morning we check out of the great little pub (Auerschtein Hotel) and lock our bags (as usual) in the railway station, then go off to explore the old city and the precincts of the Heidelberg Castle (magnificent) - On the way there we met four Malaysian girls studying in Britain (when one of them fell into my lap on the bus). Funny enough I pulled exactly the same stunt to some attractive young woman as we got on the bus back to the train station (Heidelberg Hauptbahnhof) - practical jokers, their bus drivers!

Before leaving the area, Jo and I did a cruise on the Neckar River in a solar powered, all glass and aluminium tour boat, so we saw the sights from a different perspective. The only passengers on this boat, apart from us two, was a rowdy German women's drinking group (most of the drinking had been done already!). The commentary sounded very interesting (that is, the bits I could hear and that were in English). While in the area we also visited the free museum (more of a memorial really) dedicated to the Roma and Sinti citizens of Heidelberg who had been subjected to the hospitality of the Third Reich as it built up steam.

Later we met up again with Zoe and Chris, got drenched trying to buy another umbrella, had a lovely Thai meal then went to the trains. Our train pulled out about 8pm.

We traversed the length and breadth of Germany tonight as we head north to Koln to get a 2nd class sleeper (couchette). THAT was an understatement...



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

German nectarGerman nectar
German nectar

Not only the food was good in this place!
The Castle up closeThe Castle up close
The Castle up close

The restoration of this castle is really impressive.


Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 13; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0935s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb