Alpirsbach


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Baden-Württemberg » Alpirsbach
June 12th 2005
Published: January 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Alpirsbach MonasteryAlpirsbach MonasteryAlpirsbach Monastery

Alpirsbach Monastery
There are basically two types of tourists that go to Alpirsbach, a small but European wide quite famous town right in the middle of the Black Forest.

For one, there are visitors seeking tranquility and peace and who just want to get away from it all at home. They typically stay in the area for a week or so for a vacation full of walking, hiking, and relaxing.

The second type of visitor just comes to Alpirsbach to visit the monastery and the adjacent famous monastic brewery ("Alpirsbacher Klosterbrauerei").

Former Benedictine Alpirsbach monastery is over 900 years old already. The Romanesque architecture was mixed over the centuries with a lot of Gothic elements as one can easily see. The largest structure of the monastery is the huge Romanesque basilica in the shape of a cross.

After the Reformation in Wuerttemberg the monastery was dissolved in 1556. In the years after it served for a while as a Protestant school of theology.

The whole red sandstone complex is very impressive and I think it is a must see for the Black Forest area.

Today the complex is used by Catholic and Protestant parishes alike. Concerts and
Alpirsbach MonasteryAlpirsbach MonasteryAlpirsbach Monastery

Alpirsbach Monastery
movie showings sometimes take place here in Summer.

If you intent to visit Alpirsbach monastery you optionally can take part in a guided tour - something I recommend because the guide will tell you a lot of details and anectodes you would never know if visiting it unaccompanied.

During the tour you will be shown the striking Gothic cloister for example, the basilica, the monk's dormitory, their refectory and other interesting rooms. There's also a museum with exhibits from different time periods. Admission is 3 Euros p.p.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Alpirsbach MonasteryAlpirsbach Monastery
Alpirsbach Monastery

Alpirsbach Monastery


Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0357s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb