Normandie & UK Days 6 & 7


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Upper Normandy » Montivilliers
June 8th 2019
Published: June 8th 2019
Edit Blog Post

"Martha""Martha""Martha"

William and Katja's camper!
Combining these two days, as we spent Friday on the campsite, mostly watching "Storm Miguel" out of the van windows, as it continued its exploits of Thursday night. Sad news from home, that three lifeboatmen had been killed on a shout for a fishing boat in trouble with the storm. Apparently the lifeboat (the old one I think) capsized.

No mileage, and no exciting activities. Slept well both nights, except for the noisy weather!

But Saturday has been much more interesting, as we've headed closer to Le Havre. Lots of evidence of damage to trees etc, as we headed first to Honfleur and later to Fécamp, just to look around. Sadly neither place is brilliant for motorhomers nowadays - both have large Aires, but not conveniently placed for short daytime visits, and we're barred from parking (even for short stay) everywhere else.

Eventually headed for a "France Passion" location near Montivilliers (not far from Le Havre). It's a place where they produce cider, and an apple-based aperitif called pommeau. Bought some of each in the little shop, where we met a young German couple, William and Katja, who were travelling in their converted FIRE ENGINE!

As we were all leaving the shop, the owner asked us if we'd like to see the "Blockhaus" (DON'T MENTION THE WAR!!). Turned out there was some sort of tour group on site who he was about to show around, so we foreigners joined them. It was basically an underground WW2 air-raid shelter, complete with gas filtering system and some of the original bunk beds. Apparently the site had been fortified during the war, with guns pointing out to sea and defences to landward as well. Just one of those little surprises France throws at you from time to time!

Afterwards, William and Katja showed us their camper (called "Martha"). Apparently you can pick up these 40-year-old fire engines very cheaply, and with very low mileage. They'd gutted it, fitted windows towards the rear, and installed what they needed for basic camping. Respect!

700 km, so 173 today.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 17; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0592s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb