30th Oct to 2nd Nov


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Rhône-Alpes » Lyon
November 5th 2010
Published: November 8th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Courtney and I set off to lyon at 2 oclock on saturday. We had to take the train to Beziers and then the TGV from beziers to Lyon. The train journey wasnt too bad as we were sat with a woman and her two children we ended up speaking alot of french to her, however i found it almost impossible to understand the little boy nathan who was 4. We arrived in lyon at 8 and made our way to the hotel by metro. Lucikly the hotel was right next to the metro stop.
Our room was gorgeous, although it was more like a mini apartment then a room, there was a little kitchenette, a living romm, a fair sized bathroom which had an amazing shower 😊 and a big deep bath. The only down side was we had to share a bed, luckily courtney sleeps like a corpse and i was the fidgety annoying one!
That night we just nipped out for some quick food and then headed back to the hotel as it was late.
Sunday morning we headed to the tourism office to ask what there was to do. The woman told us, in english as we were been tourists for the weekend 😊 that we could have a lyon card, which for 24 euros allowed us free access to all the museums, guided tours, boat tours, bike hire and all the transport. So of course we got the card. We got on the god awful cable car upto the basillisque catherdral which was huge, it was very nice inside but people who know me would know that churhces arent my scene... We came back down and went to a museum, here it had all different film sets and props including gismo from the gremlins! and alsorts of other things. The rest of the museum was home to 'minatures' tiny little rooms and props that films use to make them look like real rooms, they were fascinating and so clever! i really enjoyed the museum. After that we had a wonder around vieux lyon (old lyon) where we foudn a scottish pub called wallace. In the pub there was a poster saying halloween party here tonight, prizes for best fancy dress, so we had to find a costume!!!! Inspired by the puppet museum (which was crap!!) we decided to go as puppets however finding a costume on a sunday in france is never a good idea, in fact trying to buy anything in france on a sunday is next to impossible! But we managed to get a few things, adn had a puppet costume for the night.
So at around 9 we headed to the wallace pub were there was a band playing, I stupidly got a pint of carlsberg which tasted as bad as it does back home! we met two guys there who were cousins and the first guys we have met that arent serious creeps. One of them had spent two years in manchester and spoke perfect english so it was a total french night which was nice! After the wallace pub we went to an irish bar were another band were playing it felt like been back at home watching a band singing in ensligh!
Monday we went back to the basillisque as it was glorious sunshine and there is a really good view of the city behind it. we also spent the day mooching around the shops. That night we went to the theatre, I say theatre but it was more like a back street shop type thing, the production was william shakespeares sonnets. It was the craziest thing I have ever seen in my life, unknown to us it was an audience participation show and I was so glad they didnt pick on me!!! Shakespeare in French sounds so much more romantic! And the guy playing shakespeare was quite hot so that helped 😊 after the show we just went back to the hotel and packed ready to leave the next day!
We left the hotel at 10 tuesday morning and got back to millau at 8 it was a very long day! But I had an amazing time in lyon and would like to return some time soon.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0561s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb