Au Revoir France


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Rhône-Alpes » Annecy
October 8th 2009
Published: October 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

9/8/09

We woke early today in beautiful Sarlet France to to get ready for a long day of driving to get to Annecy, a lakeside town just southwest of Geneva, Switzerland. We drove about 350 miles today so once we arrived in Annecy it was about 5:00pm and we were ready for a stretch. The only way we know about Annecy, is that a stage of the Tour de France went through there this year. Andrew has heard that it was a nice town and a lot of cyclists live there to train.

We found a campground we knew was close to the lake as we could see a glimpse of blue from our site. So we unpacked our bikes and headed to explore the town and lake. The traffic was a bit hairy as it was rush hour. When we arrived at the lake our WOW meter went way off. Everything opened up to an expansive view of the crystal blue lake. Feeding the lake in the distance where jagged snow dipped mountains. The entire city was focused around the lake starting with a beautiful walkway, bike path and park filled with trees, flower gardens, topiaries and even vegetable boxes. The quaint cobbled shopping district jetted off from the lake as well.
We rode about half way around the lake and passed several beaches, parks, and relaxing waterside cafes. This was one of our favorite towns and definitely one of the top places we could live.

We will miss France, it is a very relaxing and gorgeous place. The people were very nice and it is easy to travel here. One thing that stands out is the fantastic gardening that is done at the roundabouts. We have seen true works of art just driving through towns. They really take pride in were they live. We have seen huge sculptures, water features, topiaries and themed flower mazes. Much better than sitting at an ugly traffic light.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



8th October 2009

Annecy and Tufts University
Annecy is gorgeous and Tufts University in Boston has an overseas university there.

Tot: 0.328s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1465s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb