Travel Blog 11th June to 22nd June 2014. France - Alpe D'Huez


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Rhône-Alpes » Alpe d'Huez
June 22nd 2014
Published: June 25th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

France to Alpe D'Huez


Travel Blog Tuesday 10th June 2014 to Sunday 22ndJune 2014

Tuesday 10th June 2014.

Up and moved on – took a lot to get out of Paris – quite stressful for us as we were being taken down many narrow roads by TomTom, but we eventually got there. Tom thinking we are heading to Mt. Ventoux and Gaye thinking to Alpe D’Huez – and yes, Gaye was right. J

At one Service Centre, a group of Chinese men were taking photos of the camper vans, so Tom said to them to come in. They took photos of us in the camper – much laughter.

We ask at the next petrol stop if it is OK to stop here for the night in the parking lot – no go. So on our way. At 8pm we come across a truck lay-by with lots of trucks, so that will do. Next to us, pulls up a HC with a lady driver and her dog.



On Wednesday we travelled towards Alpe D’Huez. The scenery through the mountains was majestic. Always a pretty sight to see the mountains with the snow on the tops. We finally arrived at Belledonne camp site. What a magnificent location and great facilities. We set up camp and settled in. www.eurocamp.co.uk/campsites/thealps/al016-le-belledonne/ataglance.html

The weather for the next few days was overcast and some rain so not much done and still trying to shake off this mild bronchitis.

Sunday is a sunny morning. Nothing done today. Gaye still not well and Tom with croaky voice and getting worse. Lucky for us the sun is shining, so we lay around the pool.





Monday we are off on scooter to do grocery shopping about 8kms away. Gaye is much more relaxed on back of scooter might mean because Tom has had more experience although still a bit shaky on hairpin bends.

After lunch we are back on the scooter and up to Villard-Reculas www.villard-reculas.com/en/home.html – a small ski spot. Near one hairpin bend, a wedged tail eagle swooped down at something beside the road right next to where we were riding past on the scooter. It and us all got a bit of a fright. They are very big birds when you are that close and looking them in the eye.

We went to the bar at 9pm to watch the football – Netherlands Vs Spain at World cup in Brazil. Only stayed for the first half – too tired. Should have stayed for the whole game, with Netherlands winning, there was no sleep with the raucous goings on. Campsite full of people from the Netherlands and staff as well.



The markets are on today, Saturday so we head out on the scooter to Bourg-d’Oisans. bourgdoisans.com/en/patrimony/markets After lunch, Tom headed out for a bicycle ride to Villard-Reculas. He could only manage out 1hr 16mins out and 17mins back – he’s still not firing on all cylinders. Hopefully next ride he will make it to the top.



A wet day Sunday so we did very little. We were able to Skype Sharmayne. Great to have a chat and catch up with what’s happening back at home. Tom on trainer for 1.5 hrs on hard setting to simulate hill climbing – getting ready for the Alpes. Early dinner and off at 6pm to watch football – Switzerland Vs Ecquador / 2 to 1 to Switzerland.



Monday was overcast but Tom went off for a bicycle ride. Headed out for Villard Reculas – 710m to 1450m and just made it – then on with raincoat for decent as in the clouds and feeling cold. Total 2hr 19m and 31.5kms.



Up as planned on Tuesday to ride motor scooter to Venosc and were told to go further as there was a water fall. 10% chance of rain and lightening, so we pack the wet weather gear. Stopped at Venosc, but as it is not high season (July to Sept) (just like our trip to Methven in NZ) everything is shut, but a nice little village. Got to waterfall OK but Tom stopped too close to edge and could not reach to the ground (short legs). So down we went. No damage to Gaye, just to Tom’s pride.

Walked to waterfall – they call it a cascade as it is over rocks and in a crevice – full force as the snow is melting. The water in the stream nearby is a icy blue colour.

Stop for a coffee at the restaurant there and then headed home as we could see the rain coming. Made it back OK.

In the morning, the gas had run out, (Tom realized we should have filled up in England-didn’t even think about it) so Tom went out on motor scooter searching but to no avail – will have to buy a new bottle tomorrow, so will end up with 3 bottles like before – but this time will leave one (Italian) bottle behind.

Tom 1.5hrs on trainer in tent out of rain.

Up to the bar to watch Belgium Vs Algeria. 2-1 to Belgium. Not much of a game.

Had take away dinner as no gas in motorhome.



Next day, Tom bought a bottle of gas, thinking our regulator would fit – wrong as it’s a British fit, so back to Spar shop – no regulator, then off on an expedition to find one. After 3 more stops he finally finds one. Back home and all works well.

So at about noon, Tom decides to head out and see how far he can get up Alpe D’Huez – there is 21 hairpin bends, so off he goes – (next bit for all the bicycle riders) about 20mins flat then 2hr 8 mins climbing with 2 stops for rest and Gu. The last 3/4hr in rain, so reach the top and put on arm covers and hat and start to come home – under brakes as wet and cold. Stopped in bus shelter for 5 min to try and warm up. At about 1100m, start to warm up due to temperature, then home. So three laps of 20mins to base – 2hr 8m climbing, 1hr decent and home.

Lucky that Gaye had hot soup ready.

Up to bar to watch Australia Vs Holland – it went better than thought it would. 3-2 to Holland.



It was a sunny morning on Thursday, so Tom stripped out the tent floor and left it to dry, while we went for a bicycle ride to Allemonte – 2kms down the road. Looks great in brochure. It was nice, but quiet as still low season. Ended up riding for 2hrs 10mins and did 17kms. Rode on dirt road beside dam – magic scenery as the Alps are breathtaking.

Home for lunch. Went to the pool – bloody cold as they only heat it in summer – but it was nice in the sun on deck chair reading.



Friday 20th June 2014.

Gaye feeling much better.

(next bit for bicycle riders) Tom ready to have another go at Alpe D’Huez and then onto to Col de Sarenne at 2000m then to le Perron, Clavans le Haut, le Freney d’Oisans and home on main road. So all up 4hrs 53min riding and 66kms – made up of 25.51min to base 8.5km / 1hr.57.19min up Alpe D’Huez / 1hr.09.27mins to Col de Sarenne and 1hr.21.20 to van.

So climb up Alpe D’Huez was better as sunny and 10min quicker. The climb from there to Col de Sarenne took a bit of finding through village.

The decent was dangerous as road narrow, damaged, hairpin bends and dangerous drop offs, loose stones etc.

So very hard on arms and hands from braking. – a local went past Tom, so he followed him, chatted and he was from Grenoble and spoke good English.

Then when nearly home, about 6kms and into a head wind, another guy went past so jumped on his wheel and followed him – to camp site – gotta be lucky some times. So all up a good ride and Tom felt great.



Saturday was glorious weather, so up and we went for a bicycle ride for 1.20hrs along quiet back roads, stopped at a very pretty park for a snack and back home. Out on motor scooter to go up to Alpe D’Huez so Gaye to see where Tom had ridden and to see the scenery. There was a Porsche Rally on, and when we were at the Service station filling up, there were 20+ Porsche queued up. Tom asked one of the drivers how many Porsche in the rally and he says over 200 – so many rich people – even the girl in the servo commented.

So off we go all the way up and through the village of D’Huez and then on to Alpe D’Huez ski resort where the Tour de France goes to , and then on to Col de Sarenne at 2000metres . Have coffee and take some photos. Magic spot. www.refuge7.com

We keep going – so very carefully as decent not a good road, but was a very scenic ride – good for Tom as he could also see the scenery as opposed to on the bicycle.

Gaye glad to be off scooter, rear end a bit sore.

Wine cheese and crackers time – after a great day out.



Sunday started out overcast but Tom headed out again.

He heads out to go to Alpe D’Huez via Villard Reculas. Starts off good but last couple of kms from Villard, he began to feel the last week catching up, so not sure if he will make it to Alpe D’Huez. Then along comes an English guy who lives in Grenoble – starts talking and saying how good it is from Villard Reculas to Alpe D’Huez, so they part company at Villard Reculas and he was so right. It was a lovely view and then on to climb of Alpe D’Huez at turn 6 he is starting to feel it and by turn 4 and then turn 2 stopped and chatted to another guy. He is a shot duck for a few minutes and has a Gu.

Then on to the top and has a wash in trough along with all the other riders. And then THE DECENT – was great fun but by turn 16 the arms and hands were sore from braking. Then the ride home was just plain hard.

So for the bike riders – total ride was about 4 hours. 1.29.45 to Villard Reculas, 1.20 Villard Reculas to Alpe D’Huez then 43 min27 home. He is really feeling all the riding he has done.

So after he is home and recuperated, we pack up the tent and van ready to leave on Monday morning. He is totally wasted from the 1.5 weeks of riding.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



30th June 2014

Keeping up
Thanks guys. Watching the blog updates and enjoying sharing what you are up to. Sounds like you've done a few steep K's in quite a short period Tom.

Tot: 0.266s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0653s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb