Nice To Be In Nice


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur
September 26th 2006
Published: September 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Nice, France


Monte Carlo, MonacoMonte Carlo, MonacoMonte Carlo, Monaco

The famous Casino
We arrived in Nice by train from Lake Como via Milan and were welcomed by rain. Not quite what we expected for the French Riviera. But after dropping our bags at the hostel, we made the best of our evening and took advantage of our day of travel on our Eurail Pass and headed east of Nice along the French Riviera to Monte Carlo, Monaco.

Monaco is a small country (less than two-square-kilometers!), but extremely wealthy. The same family has governed since 1297!! The current prince, Prince Rainier III (who married Princess Grace...Grace Kelly!) has updated the land and decreased it's dependence on gambling. They even have motion sensored cross walks. Even though we only saw it at night and in the rain, we were in awe at it's beauty. We went to the casino and even though we didn't gamble (didn't want to pay the $13 to enter the gambling rooms) we still admired the extremely wealthy aura of the place, especially the Ferraris, Bentleys and Porsches that filled the parking lot.

We woke up on day two to rain rain rain, but luckily in the afternoon it cleared up and we were able to explore more of
CannesCannesCannes

Outside the Congress Center (where the International Film Festival is held)
the Cote d'Azur (French Riviera). This time we headed west to Cannes (the famous Cannes International Film Festival....yeah, we were there!). More affluence at every turn. We walked along the boardwalk and enjoyed the view of the palm trees, the sandy shore, and especially the tourquoise water. We also strolled along the docks and gaped at the tiny boats. Seriously, what do people's houses and cars look like when they own their own personal cruise ships?! These yachts were MASSIVE!

We also visited a couple other small, coastal towns that dot the French Riviera including Antibes and Cap d'Ail. Both were beautiful, wealthy towns with huge homes dotting the rocky shores. We were able to relax on the boardwalks and simply take in the scenery; the blue-green water lapping against the rocks, the planes and helicopters filling the skies, and the huge yachts easing into port.

Unfortunately we weren't able to lay out in the sun on the sandy beaches along the French Riviera and get nice tans, but we were able to relax and see how the "other half" lives. Wow! Once Ryan opens up that restaurant though, ya never know...

Next up: Barcelona, Spain -
CannesCannesCannes

On the red carpet
Sept. 27, 2006

http://www.travelblog.org/gmaps/map_1ZL.html



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Cannes Cannes
Cannes

The "Mr." America wave
Antibes HarborAntibes Harbor
Antibes Harbor

One of the many "cruise ships"
Cap d'AilCap d'Ail
Cap d'Ail

The rocky beach
NiceNice
Nice

View from the hostel


26th September 2006

Rocks and Hot Dogs!
I remember that on the Cote d'Azure I was seriously disappointed in the beaches cuz they were all full of rocks! But I was seriously impressed by the hot dogs being sold from push carts where stuck the bun down on a large, heated spike, then stuck the weiner down in the hole left by the spike in the heated bun!! And the mustard was delicious! I hope you're going to hit Spain and the Spanish beaches...I think we had a beautiful hotel room w/ bkfast and a bottle of wine for about $7.00/day. Of course, a lot was different in 1966!!!!!!!!!
26th September 2006

What a hair cut
Hey Ry, I could have done better than that whack cut you got. I hope you didnt over pay for that!!! Dad
28th September 2006

So cute!
You two are so cute! I am really enjoying your stories and pictures. I have seen many of the places you are visiting and it's fun to watch you delight in the same things I did. Keep it up!

Tot: 0.175s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0996s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb