Day 15 Villefort to Pont d'Arc 41 miles


Advertisement
Published: May 26th 2014
Edit Blog Post

D901 to Le Vans D252 to Casteljau D104 ,D208 to Chandolas,St -Alban-Auriolles,Ruoms,,D579 to Pont d'Arc

Comfortable stay with French family joining them for dinner last evening & breakfast this morning.

Weather good with thin cloud & very little wind .

Long climb out of Villefort up to height approx 1000ft easily cyclable though even by me. Thick forestry of pine ,oak ,ash,chestnut trees,the road littered with pine cones & the air smelling of pine. View at the top amazing & the free wheeling down the other side for 16km superb,only stopping to add a layer of clothing take some photos & buy some cherries.The lower slopes were less forested & occasionally terraced for fruit orchards. We felt the warm air of the Ardeche as though someone had turned the heating on we were now in the south of France.

Later we cycled through an area of limestone so different from the hills.the air was filled with the scent of rosemary & thyme which was growing wild in amongst the dry limestone. Here we picnicked on local cheese ,fillets of pork & the cherries we bought earlier.

Then we were on the valley floor with its crops of barley ,vegetables ,vines & young sunflowers,fig & fruit trees.

The next part of the day was spent cycling along the banks of the Ardeche which is a popular holiday destination & being Sunday was very busy.The road took us into the Gorge & the Pont d'Arc, Frances answer to Durdle Door which the Ardeche river has carved a 30 km gorge through limestone was indeed impressive. It is unique in France ,the only example of a stone arch spanning a river that still flows. The River here is very popular with canoeists,swimmers orienteering etc & today they were out in force.

Another lovely days cycling. Staying in the Gorge tonight the downside is that there will be a long climb out tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



26th May 2014

Pont d'Arc
Hi Mark & Sue, we were at the Pont d'Arc back in April, we stayed with friends at St Maurice d'Ibie. Sounds like you are having a great trip. John & Barbara.
26th May 2014

Cherries
Sounds like a nice day...except the cycling!!! We will be staying near Lyon Wednesday night with a family who have their own cherry trees yum yum! Keep safe. Love Jillx

Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0422s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb