Oh my HOT (and I'm not talkin about the guys!)


Advertisement
Published: July 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Wendy on the Train to ProvenceWendy on the Train to ProvenceWendy on the Train to Provence

We should have read the book before we went, but oh well.
Yes, HOT! Wendy and I were shocked as we stepped off the train into a sweltering 38 degrees Celsius and NO breeze whatsoever! Yuck.

Accommodations - Wendy described our B&B best . . . a flea market with lots of dust all over. Dominique, the owner, had stuff everywhere! Nick knack central. Zero air conditioning plus three dogs that ruled the house and enjoyed humping my leg while we were trying to eat equaled us deciding to shorten our stay from six nights to three.

Towns:
Eygalieres - cute little town closest to where we stayed in Orgon. It had a couple stores and restaurants where we ate the first night.

St. Remy - not a whole lot to see here. It’s famous for being near the mental ward where Vincent van Gogh was sent after slicing off his lobe.

Les Baux - This and Gordes were my two favorites. Great shops and views and decent gelato for France.

Arles - Personally I found it hot and dirty. After seeing the Colosseum in Rome, the Roman Arena here isn’t much of a sight. And although its cool to see some of the places van Gogh painted
Provence by CarProvence by CarProvence by Car

On the road in the country.
and then look at a reprint of the painting they have at the sight, Id rather see the real deal in an air conditioned museum.

Gordes - Loved this cute town that sits on top of a cliff. At the bottom of the valley was this beautiful lavender field near the Abbey (forgot the name).

Pont Du Guard and Uzes - Completed in 60 AD, this is the second highest standing Roman structure (Rome’s Colosseum is number one), the aqueduct is a popular area for people to swim and cliff jump into the water. We also swung by Uzes, a cute little town nearby.

Driving in France - We settled in on Wendy as the navigator and me as the driver. Our favorite thing in France may have been the roundabouts. Although some may find them annoying, Wendy and I embraced them as our opportunity to go round and round reading all the signs until we were confident which direction we should go. When we went to return the car and thought we were lost, Wendy looked up all excited and said, “Ooh look, a roundabout!” like we had just pulled up to Disneyland.

Food -
Sunflower FieldsSunflower FieldsSunflower Fields

I wanted to see this in Tuscany but I was early. (photo credit to wendy)
I know Provence is supposed to be known for its food, and maybe I’m spoiled from too much time in Tuscany, but our best meal was a Carbonara pizza at this little pizza joint in St. Remy. Pasta, cheese, garlic, bacon and egg on top of a pizza . . . sounds weird, but it was SO good! And after a long day of sight seeing it hit the spot.

Sounds of Provence - It wasn’t until day three that we found out the loud birds chirping 24/7 were actually these little bugs called Cigales. Man, are they loud.

Overall thoughts on Provence - It’s nice and I did finally get to see my field of Sunflowers, but it’s not Tuscany.





Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

SunflowersSunflowers
Sunflowers

They're huge!
SunflowersSunflowers
Sunflowers

Last one.
Pont de GuardPont de Guard
Pont de Guard

On a hot day the locals come to swim and cliff jump.
Le BauxLe Baux
Le Baux

Very beautiful Medieval town set on a cliff with a big castle and lots of little shops.
Shopping in Les BauxShopping in Les Baux
Shopping in Les Baux

Wendy is a shopper!
The TravelerThe Traveler
The Traveler

Wendy capturing me as a tourist.
Le Baux - The CastleLe Baux - The Castle
Le Baux - The Castle

Midieval war paraphernalia with the tower (and upcoming storm) in the background.
Le Baux - The FieldsLe Baux - The Fields
Le Baux - The Fields

View from the Castle. Similar to Tuscany, but for me, Tuscany has my heart.
Le Baux - Ut Oh!Le Baux - Ut Oh!
Le Baux - Ut Oh!

This is what happens if you don't follow the tour.
Carbonara Pizza!Carbonara Pizza!
Carbonara Pizza!

After a LONG HOT day of being a tourist, we found a cheap, yummy pizza place in St. Remy.
Gordes - Lavender Fields and AbbeyGordes - Lavender Fields and Abbey
Gordes - Lavender Fields and Abbey

The Abbaye de Senanque below Gordes has beautiful fragrant lavender fields (and lots of tourists running through them to take pictures).


30th July 2006

So funny!
Oh my gosh, this posting is hilarious! I'm glad you liked Gorde, I thought it was neat too... Cant wait to see where you end up next! Keep in touch.. Billy
2nd August 2006

Finally - a word from me!
Sorry Christy I have been silent since my return from Austria. There is just always so much going on it seems. Finally reading some of your updates and feeling like traveling. I have been to most of the places you mentioned in your Provence end of the journey, although it has been so long ago. Where are you heading next and do you need any more contacts? I heard that you spent some time with Alex and Michael Sean - how was that? Shoot me an email when you feel like it. Miss you! Everything is good here, just so hot. But I guess you know that feeling!:)))
5th August 2006

deefnitely digging..
...the photo of the butterfly on the lavendar!!

Tot: 0.245s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 23; qc: 116; dbt: 0.1267s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb