Steep drops and Rabbit Pasta


Advertisement
Published: May 18th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We stood by what we said and visited Ed's brother Jonathan for Easter where we had a couple of days of indulgence that two young, unemployed and rough looking men should never deserve. The place in question was a lovely little town called Vinon Sur Verdon and we were treated to lovely culinary delights by Jonathan's inlaws. We also made a late entry into their annual easter egg hunt (Ed won hands down) and also visted Aix en Provence where we ate at Les Deux Garcons, a restaurant mentioned in Peter Mayles "A year in Provence". But we were leaving before we knew it and our focus was suddenly back on the road.

We went for a stunning drive in the Verdon Gorge, a drive made moderately famous by Jeremy Clarkson on Top Gear, with steep drops that make you weep at the sight of them. We then headed down to the Cote d'Azur and Nice where we met our wee friend Claire Montgomery. In Nice we stayed for a few days whilst visiting Cannes and various stunning hilltop villages. To mention all the villages could be boring, so lets see, Peillon, St Paul de Vence, Villefranche, Cap du Ferrat and notably Eze. Notably Eze because its just as beautiful as the others but has a ridiculously expensive hotel perched on the clifftop which we both entered, despite our low status and ordered coffee which we drank on the breathtaking terrace. Back in Nice we went out to celebrate Claire's birthday with her. Both of us ended up in a state but Ed was particularly bad. In the morning he sat for an hour outside the car, unable to move for fear of being sick. People almost started throwing money at him. After a few more nights out, a dining experience where a very camp waiter took a violent liking to us, and also Ed doing his first European comedy performance (an impromptu one in a bar which went quite well considering his state) we left Nice.

Left Nice and after going via a campsite with a lovely view and Monaco, embarked on a driving tour from out of our book which hugged the Italian border and was stunning with more steep drops, steep climbs and ear popping than you could shake a stick at. We also had a memorable meal of Rabbit Pasta in the bizarre little village of Sospel. which was unfortunately as uninventive as the name; rabbit (kidneys and all) and pasta - nothing more. You know you've ordered the wrong thing when people point and say "ooh la la!". The climax was a drive that left us 1700m up a mountain where we encountered snow and lots of goats. We then shot westwards to Il Sur la Sorgue, a very pretty town surrounded by canals and water wheels.

Then it was off to Saint Sauveur (a picture book French village) and Tom's family friends where we stayed for a few days. Ed flew back for one night as a surprise for Al and Tom managed to sort himself a a job for a few months which starts in July; he will be nannying 3 boys and teaching them English (beginning with all the swear words) in the little town of Saint Jalle, near Nyons. He will be living with the family and probably will stay for a few months depending on how it goes.




Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.253s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.038s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb