Vive la France!!


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur
August 24th 2007
Published: August 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Two weeks in France with all the friends and family that we cherish is not enough time! The whole experience went by in a flash but with so many connections made. As most of you know Emmanuel comes from the town of Toulon which is between Marsaille and Nice on the Mediterranean. A land of beautiful weather and therefore lots of Nordic vacationing tourists. The mood is one of relaxation and festivals especially during the month of August when most of the country is on vacation. Soon after our arrival we left with Emmanuel's parents to their country home in Aveyron, just west of Montpellier. Going to the countryside in August is like one long continuous family reunion interwoven by social gatherings and accentuated by what the French do best...eat and drink! The tiny village of St. Maurice Sur Sorgue is composed of Emmanuel's family whether distant or immediate. A walk down the street means a visit with the village, a game of petanque, an aperitif (before dinner drinks) and various invitations to fill up the coming days either for coffee, lunch, drinks or dinner. To be able to follow these rituals requires training which we were lacking in. We found ourselves at the table and indulging in magret de canard, pate, fois gras, sausage, cheese and the list goes on and on. As we ate we talked about what we might eat at our next meal, remembered meals from the past and commented on what was in front of us and where it had come from, how it was prepared. The wine flowed the pitchers of water were forgotten. The family joined together and the 8 cousins enjoyed every minute they could get together, running around making their second annual summer film. After the meal we sprawled out on long chairs sipping coffee and trying to digest all that we had partaken in. Emmanuel's grandma enjoyed her great grandchildren and took part in some games of go fish. These very taxing days allowed for some of the best sleep we've had in months as we breathed in some of the freshest air in the world.
We did diverge from these culinary habits once and visited the Roquefort Caves where "the best cheese in the world is made". Of course the visit was followed by a tasting which left us wanting more of this magical cheese full of some of the best mold I've ever tasted!
After a week of bliss in the countryside we returned to Toulon to make our rounds. We managed to connect with most of our good friends and of course, once again, applied the traditions of cuisine to our gatherings. Many hours were spent playing Petanque (at least the men) while the women chatted and cooked away. Oh how macho it all was! We even had a visit from our friends Gina and Stephan who made their way down from Sweden!
This part of our trip felt different, almost like we had ended our trip and made entry into a more stable existance, a taste of what is to come in the near future. Until that moment we think of our next destination and wonder what treasures Ireland holds for us!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Grandpa and YohanGrandpa and Yohan
Grandpa and Yohan

Yohan's grandpa made him his first official walking stick!
The dormitoryThe dormitory
The dormitory

Sleepover with the cousins


Tot: 0.167s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 21; qc: 72; dbt: 0.0853s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb