In the Clouds


Advertisement
Published: July 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

My last weekend in France was perhaps one of my favorites. I traveled to Monacco, Nice, and Eze, and I saw Le Tour de France come through Montpellier! The Tour was very exciting and many tourists came to Montpellier to witness the cyclists bike through the city. Everyone was cheering and yelling and it really was a once in a lifetime event for me. It all happened very quickly, as the riders came by in a blur...but I think I got some cool pics!

I woke up at 4:15am Friday to catch the train to Monacco (Monte Carlo). That principality is a rich man's playground. There were Bentleys, Lambourghinis, Ferraris, Rolls Royces...there is a lot of money flowing there. Jon and I went to the famous Casino in Monte Carlo and we were dressed to impress. Unfortunately, they confiscated your camera if they saw you take pictures inside. But it was really beautiful. And the best part was when I sat down at the Roulette table and gambled with the big boys and girls! The dealers spoke French and I didnt really know how to play, but I knew the best odds were red or black, so thats what I played at first, and won some, lost some. Then I played my birthday and lost. Oh well! It was only 20 Euros, but it was worth every penny. afterwards, we walked along the street were my friends Louis, Christian, Gianni, and Coco live. Hee hee! We browsed the shops and then hiked over to the Palace and the Cathedral. It was a very hot day, but thankfully I will never have to do lunges again in my life! We caught the train to Nice and stayed over there because it was more affordable than staying in Monte Carlo.

Nice was quite the disappointment. It looked post-apocalyptic (quoting Jon) and the beach was nothing to brag about. But we did enjoy about an hour and a half on the beach and then got out of Nice and headed for the magical medieval city of Eze...

Unfortunately I just dont have words for Eze...none that will do it justice. But let me just say that i was the closest to heaven I have ever been. I was literally in the clouds! It was quite possibly the coolest experience! We took the bus from the very top to the village and there were all of these little, quaint shops that sold handcrafted wares. I even boughta purse made entirely of wood! The man who sold it to me had made it himself. There is a garden on one side of the village that winds all the way to the top of the village and has some great panoramic views of the French Riviera. The garden was beautiful and had lots of cacti and aloe plants, as well as the ruins of the fortress that once stood on the top. It really was a beautiful place and I hope I am fortunate enough to return there again one day.

I will be coming back to the States on Friday and am looking forward to seeing everyone! I have a paper to complete and a final exam to do before I return home so wish me luck and I hope all is well back home! Until next time...au revoir!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0633s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb