Beaches and mountains


Advertisement
Published: June 17th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Just a quick update on day 10 of our trip, as internet access is slow and expensive up in the Pyrenees. We spent three days on Ile de Re, near La Rochelle - beautiful and quiet at the moment but expensive and going to be rammed in the summer. Then three days on the coast north of Biarritz at a custom-built resort called Vieux Boucau with Amanda's brother Steve, who met us on his motorbike. Lazy days on the beach, except when it poured with rain.
Through Biarritz and St Jean de Luz, both swanky resorts but weirdly empty at the moment, then up into the mountains. St Jean Pied-de-Port is at the start of the pilgrim trail to Santiago de Compostela, very pretty old cobbled streets. Then up over windy mountain roads full of mad cyclists to a beautiful site surrounded by snow-capped peaks where we need to stop and do some washing.
Not many tourists, just fit people off hiking and retirees looking sleek, tanned and happy as they tour Europe. Lots of Dutch & a few English, lots of female couples camping for some reason.
We are all well & happy, eating fantstically and not blowing the budget - yet. Will add pics when I work out how to do it on a foreign computer with all the keys in a different place!

Advertisement



21st June 2005

great to hear your news,and glad about the food. Love Mum

Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0389s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb