Arrival in L'Isle -sur-la-Sorgue and Exploring the Hill Towns


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur
October 9th 2019
Published: October 31st 2019
Edit Blog Post

On Monday morning, October 7, we departed from Annecy and headed south west towards L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue, our home for the next four nights. Our route took us back through the mountains we had travelled through to get to Annecy for a total journey of about 360 km. Most of the trip was on the motorway and our toll for this trip was 32.00E. Everything is automated. When you enter the motorway you pick up a ticket and when you leave the motorway you insert the ticket, it tells you the cost and you pay by either cash or credit- no human in sight!!!

We ariived in La Sorgue about 3 PM after a fill up at a service centre and a stop for lunch. This small town of about 20,000, located 25 km east of Avignon, is famous for its many antique shops, waterside cafes, two weekly markets, and the many working waterwheels scattered throughout the town. Again our apartment is inside the old town so we park and begin our search. We know the address, 3 Rue Rose Goudard, and it is above the Zubrycki art gallery. With a little help from a kind server and another French lady we found the apartment, got the key from the lock box and opened the door. Surprise, surprise!!!! Two flights of steep stairs again!!! Oh well, each time it seems to get a bit easier- we are building muscles!! The free parking lot is close by so we figure out the route to get the car through the maze of narrow streets and squeeze into the narrow parking space with all beepers squealing. We are delighted with the apartment. It has just been recently remodelled and has a lovely IKEA kitchen, living room with new sofa bed, huge master bedroom upstairs and beautiful IKEA bathroom with washer/dryer combo. We will be very comfortable here. After unloading we head out to buy our provisions. We go to a Lidl which we remember from Italy. It reminds us of Aldi- very basic- but we are able to find what we need and head back ready to enjoy a relaxing evening after our long drive.

We were blessed with beautiful weather during our time in Provence. On Tuesday morning we decided to go east from la Sorgue to visit some of the Luberon Hill Towns. We were heading to Gordes, as we knew their market was today. We rounded a curve and there perched on a high hill were a collection of sand coloured buildings cascading down the steep hillside. Unbelievable!!! We found a parking spot and began our walk into the town. The market was in full swing and we had a wonderful time checking out the wares. From Gordes we motored on to Roussillon which is sometimes compared to the trendy charm of Santa Fe with its reddish coloured soil derived from the ochre deposit on which it sits. Roussillon has been a protected village since 1943 and has benefited from a complete lack of modern development. We climbed to the top of the village and took in the amazing view . Time for a "sit down" so we found a lovely café in the centre of the town and experienced our first crepe. I opted for a dessert crepe and Bonnie a more nutricious one. Time to head back around 4. We passed by many apple orchards, lavender fields and some vineyards. We found a large supermarket called Super U. Very much like WalMart. (No WalMarts in France that we saw.) We have lots of fun searching for things in the supermarket.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Lavender FieldsLavender Fields
Lavender Fields

The lavender was not in bloom when we were there.


Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.038s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0693s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb