Villefranche Sur Mer


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur » Vence
October 30th 2009
Published: October 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Today we went to Villefrance Sur Mer, a little town the other side the peninsula, just 15 minutes away by train. It would have taken the same amount of time to travel two subway stops in inner London.

It's very quiet and quaint, town on a hill. There were a lot of tourists but somehow it didn't seem too crowded. We walked to the old fort, garden, then back down to the water front, had lunch/dinner at a restaurant. It's our first meal out in France and it was great. We both ordered fish, figuring it would be fresh so close to the ocean. And it was! It was cooked perfectly. Sascha's sea bass ( we think) even came with the head. Another couple saw our food (we sat outside) and asked to take a picture of our food. We had ratatouille (a mixed vegetable stew like thing) too. After wards we didn't feel heavy at all, even though the portions were pretty large by European standards. We sat for a long time just people watching and soaking in the small town quiet.

In the town, the streets are narrow and people hang their washing out the windows. The windows had wooden shutters half open, with flowers growing on the windowsill.

As we walked by the water near sundown, back to the train station, the boats resting on the water with a faint moon rising above the water was just beautiful. In another 15 minutes we were back in Nice.

Since we didn't have dessert, we figured we'd see if the local bakery is still open. Luckily they still were and we bought a slice of cake, which Sascha ate the most of while I was busy settling in and downloading pictures. All in all a great day.







Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0476s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb