I LOVE BELGIUM


Advertisement
Published: May 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

from the moment i stepped off the plane on to mainland Europe i know i was in a better place.
compared to Dublin and Ireland this is cloud 9.

so we are in Brussels and need to get to Brugges but don't know how. What do we do? ask some lovely local girl at the bus desk for directions. excuse mwa", parlevois anglais?" öui"" THANK GOD. caught the bus to the train station and again had to ask how to activate our train ticket and how to get where we needed too. unfortunately our victim wasn't a lovely local but he did speak english.

in Brugges the streets are all cobblestone. there is some fantastic architecture and the roofs of everything are all pointed. we got here at about 2130 hours and were told we could wait for the bus at 2200hrs to get to our hostel. we consulted the map of which there are plenty in this city and decided to leg it.

FREE Advertisement: St Christopher's Bauhaus is FANTASTIC and i will recommend it to anyone staying in this fine city. we have a twin room and it is awesome. the staff were very friendly and helpful and we managed to get a pizza made before the kitchen closed at 2300 hrs. it was the best pizza i have had in a very long time!!

9th May 07: woke up at 1030 hours OH MY GOD half the day is gone.

missed breakfast but Brugges has a wednesday morning market. this place is fantastic!! (and the sights are pretty good too dad) grabbed some food from there and headed for the belfry. 366 steps, 83 metres to the top. the view was phenomenal. i am still unsre as to the language they actually speak here but most locals speak english so it isn't too bad!


10th May 07

I still love Belgium. the pizza at our hostel is to die for and the staff are fantastic (and pretty good looking too). we took a day trip to Ypres or Ieper (as the locals call it) today. On the way we managed to get kicked out of first class on the train. apparently a number 1 on the carriage (we got on the first one) means first class and that people like us should move down to where the second class citizens inhabit the second class carriages. for all those travelling through europe a number 2 on the side of a carriage means it is second class and not the second carriage.

we ventured to Ypres because the menin gate is at Ypres. this is a monument set up to honour the fallen soldiers of World War I in this Area. Bradley's great Uncle died in one of the battles on this area and is on one of the walls in the monument.

it has rained consistently since lunch time today but it is only light rain and it is still easy enough to walk around the place. we visited the Church of our Lady this afternoon. it has some fantastic architecture inside and also the statue of the mother and child by Michaelangelo. one of the (if not the only) pieces of his work to venture outside of italy.

Advertisement



11th May 2007

i am also in belgium brussel in particular and it is really wonderfull , shall be visiting burges
19th May 2007

in case you were still wondering: we speak Flemish. It's the same as Dutch but with a different accent, especially in Bruges the accent is uhm...strange

Tot: 0.367s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.147s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb