St Paul de Vence


Advertisement
Published: May 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Bus number 400 from Nice to St Paul de Vence took one hour and the journey was well worth the effort. The village sits in magnificent splendour, perched on a hill top with walled ramparts. This ancient village with its old stone walls and red pantile roofs is very attractive. We walked around the exterior of the 16th century ramparts with fantastic views of the surrounding hills and countryside. We made our way back through the walls and into the narrow cobbled streets of the village. There were many galleries and art studios. The Chappelle des Penitents Blancs and the nearby museum were interesting places to visit. Folon a Belgian artist had decorated the 17th Century chapel with an outstanding 106m2 mural mosaic and there were also stained glass windows and sculptures. The pieces forming the mosaic were 1cm by 1cm and on average there were 10,000 pieces per square metre. The great and the good come to this village and probably the rich and famous but that doesn't include Val and myself! To end our visit we had an ice cream and watched the locals playing "petanque" a game with metal balls and a jack.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



17th May 2017

St Paul dr Vence
Great photos - it looks lovely. Good to see you enjoying yourselves. Love to you both. M xx

Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0738s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb