Weekend in Marseille


Advertisement
Published: April 30th 2006
Edit Blog Post

(Written on April 30)

I was able to get a "direct" train to Marseille - meaning I didn't have to switch train stations in Paris (always a plus as the metro is not fun with my huge bag). This would be my first train ride alone, so it was pretty cool to just chill by myself for 6.5 hours. I got quite bored. By 2:30, I was in Marseille and was greeted with a beautiful sunny day, and Kim was in a tank top. I felt overdressed immediately! (I had a button up shirt and jeans).

First thing we did was put my huge bag in a locker at the train station so I wouldn't have to lug it around town all day. The plan was to pick it up later that night. After this, Kim showed me around some of the sights of Marseille - and up to a beautiful outlook on the city and the harbour. From this, we attempted to get down to the beach but ended up locked in where the ferries come to, and this wasn't the best idea ever, let me tell you. Took us a bit to get out of the area
Palm TreePalm TreePalm Tree

My first time seeing a palm tree in like 10 years. Super cool!
and away from the scary highway that most likely would have killed us.

We decided to get some dinner and I had my first taste (and only at this point) of Bouillabaisse (i.e. fish soup) and it was a challenge as there were big fish bones through the entire thing. Ouch. Then we had a nice dessert :D

After this, we realized we were tired and decided to get my bag and head back to her house. We took the metro (yes, Marseille has a metro!) to the train station and headed to the luggage pick-up and AHHH CLOSED!! It closed at 10pm and it was 10:15!! We begged the information desk people to open for us, but no go. We even said that I had medication in there and I needed it. No go. The evil woman said that we have to call the pompiers if I have a problem! (Meaning call the ambulance and fire to come take me to the hospital). Yes. This is French customer service. We should've gone to the man and I could've cried to get him to do stuff for me.

So faced with me having no luggage for the night, we went back to Kim's apartment and I wore her PJs for the night and used little teacups for my contacts. She luckily had contact solution so they wouldn't shrivel up and I would have no place to put my eyes.

The next morning, we woke up, I wore the same clothes as the day before, and ate some of Kim's food. Two of her friends were to be coming that day, so we waited around for them. Low and behold, they came, and we set out for day trips in the Marseille area. (After getting my bag out of luggage storage of course!) This consisted of Cassis and Bandol - both absolutely beautiful cities on the Mediterranean. Pictures will not do either place justice.

After a trip to the top of the cathedral (on a hill! Thank goodness for the car!) to see the sunset, we headed back to Kim's (after a bit of an issue with parking!), and Kim made a delicious dinner of quesadillas and salad. The other two went out for the night and Kim and I hung out in her room and watched Bridget Jones' Diary. Why? Because we were super tired!!
Old ChurchOld ChurchOld Church

This church has been around since the 1300s - or maybe earlier? I have a terrible memory!
Eek.

The next day (April 2), we got driven around a bit through the Callanques and saw a town that was built in the hills (Can't remember the name!). My train was leaving at 3:30pm, so Kim and I were dropped off at the station and said goodbye and thanks to the others. We had to wait around a bit until I knew which platform to go to, said our goodbyes, and I headed off. Got back to Rouen at 9:30pm and proceeded to go right back into school finishing off a paper for French Civilization! Oh Joy for school ... Next update will be on Amsterdam!


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Kim and KaraKim and Kara
Kim and Kara

Look! No coat!
CassisCassis
Cassis

I adore this picture. Note the colour of the water.
CassisCassis
Cassis

HEART IT!
CassisCassis
Cassis

The Mediterranean
Me In the SeaMe In the Sea
Me In the Sea

I definitely look psyched to be there.
Bandol Casino!Bandol Casino!
Bandol Casino!

This was for my reference as I knew I'd forget the name of the city - and I did!
Marseille from Notre Dame ChurchMarseille from Notre Dame Church
Marseille from Notre Dame Church

It's up on a hill. Nice view down.
Marseille from Notre Dame ChurchMarseille from Notre Dame Church
Marseille from Notre Dame Church

There's a shadow of the church in the background. Cool!
The Town in the CallanquesThe Town in the Callanques
The Town in the Callanques

Still don't know what it's called. May have to ask Kim ...


17th February 2007

I really enjoyed reading your stories and it is very helpful for my forthcoming trip! Thank you Buckets! xx Thierry

Tot: 0.174s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0605s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb