USA-Cruise-Europe-Day 26


Advertisement
Published: June 21st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Day 26



Marseille was founded in 600 B.C. by the Phoenicians, who established a trading post on the north side of the harbour. It is located on the Gulf of Lions on the south-eastern coast of France. Marseille is the second largest city in France by population (over 1.6 million). It is France's largest commercial port.

The ship passed by Château d'If on it's way to the port. The Château was built in 1524-31 on the orders of King François I. From the ship we were able to see Notre-Dame de la Garde on it's hillside location.







As we disembarked off Solstice, we walked through an Arch of flowers & people dressed in local costume. As the port where our ship docked was not within walking distance to Vieux Port & Marseille City, we had no choice but to pay Celebrity for the shuttle bus, which dropped us outside the Hotel De Ville. Anchored at the Marina was a sailing boat called Le Marseillois.







We walked along the Vieux Port, past flowerstalls & saw many boats at the Marina.







We decided to take the Petit Train tour departing from Quia des Belges (circuit No.1). The tickets cost 7 Euro's for Adults & the tour takes you around the coast & then up the hill to Notre-Dame de la Garde. We saw a few floats go by adveristing the Pinder Circus. Opposite the train stop is Saint Ferreol Church.













The train departed & we turned into Quai De Rive Neuve, later going past the Abbey of St. Victor (built in 415) & a war memorial, Aux Héros de l'Armée d'Orient et des Terres Lointaines.







We continued along the coast road & went over the Fausse Monnaie Bridge.







The train left the coast road & went into Chemin Du Vallon De L'Oriol headed for Notre-Dame. Went past an eerie Limestone Hill before we reach the Cathedral.







Notre-Dame de la Garde is is situated at the highest natural point in Marseille, a 162 m (532 ft) limestone outcrop on the south side of the Old Port. Its present structure was built between 1853-64. The basilica is surmounted by a 60 m (197 ft) belfry topped with a huge statue of the Virgin and Child.

The train stopped at the Notre-Dame stop & we went up quite a lot of steps to the basilica - there is no admission charge to go inside.







Went inside the Basilica. The interior is decorated with inlaid marble, mosaics and murals. Many of the walls are covered with hundreds of ex-votos, including paintings, plaques, model boats, war medals and even football shirts given by players and supporters of Olympique de Marseille, the local football team









In a smaller chapel, there was a Statue of Jesus in a lying position. Outside, we saw a wall which still had damage from the War.







There are basically 360 Degree views from the grounds of the Basilica.













Outside in the grounds of the Basilica, were some statues, one of Jesus & another one of Jesus & Mary.















We rode the train back to Vieux Port & decided to walk to the shopping district. We ate lunch in a Restaurant beside a park where there was a Merry-Go-Round. It was a little hard to order our lunch, as our waiter did not really speak English.







After lunch we went walking along the main shopping street of Marseille. Even saw a Virgin Megastore (since we had arrived in Europe we had not seen any decent music stores up till then). We walked a little way beyond the shops to a park.













Saw an experimental prototype used to explore the deep sea . Then I went with Tim to have a look at Jardin des Vestiges (Garden of Ruins). It is an archaelogical park which contains ruins back 2000 yeras.







Back at the dock we had a group photo beside a big Marseille banner before boarding. Later on we watched the sunset. The next port of call will be Livorno in Italy.







Advertisement



Tot: 0.263s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0994s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb