November 19 Calanquing blog


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur » Marseille
November 19th 2008
Published: November 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Janet and Kathy at Vieux Port Fish MarketJanet and Kathy at Vieux Port Fish MarketJanet and Kathy at Vieux Port Fish Market

Nope, we just looked at the fish and did not buy. Unfortunately, we can't tell one fish from another. Plus, they stink.
Well, it is blogger time.

Our latest pioneering visitor who has managed to survive Marseille for the past week is our close friend Janet Johnson, who also serves as Kathy’s walking partner when in Lincoln and while here in Marseille. Janet and Kathy have been making walking sorties each day in Marseille—while Garry labors away at the lab. Garry picks up the baguette from the patisserie on his way home, and Kathy and Janet have the wine and cheese ready upon his arrival. Janet and Kathy have been cooking up some fine home-cooked meals.

Last weekend we headed to Cassis, one of our favorite seaside places. This time we took a boat out to view 5 of the nearby calanques, fiord-like inlets lined by white cliffs. Some of the cliffs are very steep and are peppered with rock climbers on the weekend.

Tuesday afternoon, Janet and Kathy came out to the university, which is situated immediately adjacent to and surrounded by federal park land. We took a nice, easy 25-minute hike to see some of the calanques from an ariel view. While they are beautiful from the sea, they are spectacular from above. For any of you who
Cassis HarborCassis HarborCassis Harbor

Perhaps you can see why we like this little village. The restaurants that line the harbor provide some fantastic food.
join us, this little walk will be on our to-do list. The cost is nothing, but the view is worth a million bucks.

Tomorrow, we are leaving for an extended weekend trip to northwestern Italy, an area called the Cinque Terra, which is comprised of 5 little cliff-side villages that have become quite popular with tourists. We are hoping the tourists are not around this weekend. We will give you a report of Cinque Terra on our next blog.

In the mean time, we plan to keep our heads stuck in the sand while avoiding all of the news of the financial woos.

Our best to everyone.

Garry and Kathy



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Calanque CliffCalanque Cliff
Calanque Cliff

Here is a cliff that lines one of the calanques near Cassis. Can you spot some of the rock climbers?
Calanque Cliff by CassisCalanque Cliff by Cassis
Calanque Cliff by Cassis

One of the smaller calanque cliffs from which crazy folks jump off and down into the water.
Morigiou CalanqueMorigiou Calanque
Morigiou Calanque

Ariel view of one of the calanques less than 25 minutes from the university.
Sugiton CalanqueSugiton Calanque
Sugiton Calanque

This small calanque can be viewed from the same perch as Morigiou. Garry doesn't like heights, but the views were worth the feeling of momentary terror.
Marseille's IslandsMarseille's Islands
Marseille's Islands

This watercolor enhancement via Photoshop is the area of Marseille we wish we lived in. But then we would be a lot further from the train station for weekend sorties.


Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0345s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb