Day 2 of Cruise Tours - Marseille


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur » Marseille
September 30th 2008
Published: August 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This excursion will take us on a journey through the historical and maritime past of Marseille, known as the melting pot of Europe. We will pass Marseille's large industrial harbor as we depart the pier and head towards the city center. En route to the Notre-Dame de la Garde Cathedral, we will see the historic, older section of the city. We'll stop at Vieux Port, the Old Harbor and heart of the city where we will have magnificent views of St. John and St. Nicholas Forts, which guard the entrance to the port, as well as the Town Hall and the main avenue of the city, La Canebiere. We'll visit the Notre-Dame de la Garde, a beautiful basilica set high atop the hills above the Old Harbor. From this area, we will have a panoramic view of the city, coast and surrounding mountains. The interior of the basilica was finished with multicolored marble mosaics by the Dusseldorf School. The journey from the Cathedral to Longchamp Palace will take us along the beautiful Kennedy Corniche Road, which runs alongside the sea. We will stop to take photos and to view the beautiful islands guarding the entrance to Marseille. Our final stop will be at Longchamp Palace, a monumental castle adorned with magnificent fountains, waterfalls and gardens. Our return will be via "La Canebiere," the main avenue of the city. Time permitting; we hope to spend some time souvenir shopping in the Vieux Port and Notre-Dame de la Garde.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.041s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb