Cannes on the French Riviera


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur » Cannes
October 16th 2014
Published: October 16th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Cannes makes headlines every May when it swarms with thousands of movie stars, wannabees, film moguls, fans and reporters, all there for the prestigious Film Festival. The rest of the year it’s a very livable city of about 80,000 with a bit of everything the Riviera has to offer. More at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannes.

Many of the “belle époque” palaces such as the Earl of Brougham’s “Villa Eleonore-Louise” are still standing, though most now serve as office or apartment buildings. In addition to some of Europe’s finest hotels, the beachfront Croisette boulevard boasts elegant shops frequented by the owners of visiting yachts, and of course it’s also the site of the Film Festival Theatre. Here’s more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannes_Film_Festival .

There is plenty for history buffs. Near the old port is a church where Napoleon hid after returning from exile in Elba, before heading back to Paris. The Iles de Lérins, just a couple of kilometers offshore, once the site of Europe’s most influential monastic order, was where Saint Patrick himself was trained. There is also the fort on Ile Ste Marguerite where it is said that the mysterious “man in the iron mask” spent most of his miserable life before finally being executed.

We found the residents of Cannes to be much like North Americans, except for their usually immaculate dress and formal manners. The city buses were excellent and inexpensive, but I often walked, in shirtsleeves or with a light jacket. The restaurants were expensive, but the food was great! Although the old port is now filled with small pleasure craft, fishermen still go out daily, and their fresh catch graces the tables of restaurants along the Quai St Jacques.

As always, you can enlarge any of the 27 photos simply by clicking on it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.257s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 21; qc: 98; dbt: 0.0662s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb