Back in Cannes...


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur » Cannes
September 1st 2007
Published: October 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

PicnicPicnicPicnic

Floor-style picnic!
Cannes was our 'learning experience.'

We arrived in Cannes in the morning, planning to have a full day of sightseeing and then find a hostel in the afternoon. Unfortunately, we didn't realize the Cannes train station doesn't believe in luggage lockers. So, still in high spirits from being at the start of our European Adventures, we decided to tough it out and start exploring with our packs still on.

We quickly realized this wasn't our best idea.

So, we tried to find the hostel in Greg's travel book. We found it! but no one was answering the buzzer. We took down the phone number (since it was different from the one in the travel booklet) and headed back to tourist information at the train station. Hoping to find a hostel that was open during the day, we asked a lovely girl at information to provide us information for another one. We also asked her to call and confirm availability, but she insisted we'd be fine and just to go there.

Well, we found the hostel. It wasn't open. The restaurant the hostel sign directed us to go to IF the hostel wasn't open... also wasn't open. Seeing
Cheers!Cheers!Cheers!

A toast-- to learning to be better prepared!
that the hostel sign indicated it would be closed until 5, we decided to get some lunch and try to see some of the nearby area (with our backpacks still on). We explored, picnicked and planned more travels in the park until 5, only to discover the hostel--and restaurant-- still weren't open. So, we decided to go back to the first hostel, and somehow managed to go the wrong direction.

A very kind french gentleman showed us the way back to the hostel, and we tried this one, which should have been open, again. After no one came in or went out for an hour, we asked a passing French lady to please phone for us, which she kindly did. She informed us that the hostel owner only is there when he has reservations ahead of time-- quite different from most hostels. The owner came back to let us stay, overcharged us, forgot to inform us that the hot water doesn't work, and left again.

To compensate for paying too much for hostel beds, we decided to have a picnic dinner on the floor of the hostel. It was actually quite fun, and the highlight of our time in Cannes.

Deciding Cannes was pretty much a bust, we hightailed it onto our next destination early the next morning. We also reserved the rest of the hostels for our trip the next day.

Like I said, it was a learning experience.
Adventures...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0312s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb