Not the Vars You're Used To (102 km)


Advertisement
Published: March 19th 2018
Edit Blog Post

leaving-brianconleaving-brianconleaving-briancon

Starting the day with a climb.
I had noticed last night that Briancon is surrounded by mountains: there was a summit to look at no matter which direction you faced. This morning that meant starting the day with a 20 km climb to the Col d'Izoard; fortunately there was a block-and-a-half stretch in which we could warm up first.

OK, it really wasn't all bad - only a 5-6% grade to start. But after 5km we gave back any elevation we had gained (descending into a slight gorge) before resuming the climb upwards, this time at a slightly steeper pitch. The route eased up a bit just before the summit but the col was absolutely infested with motorcyclists. We see them all the time on the road but still don't get why they high-five themselves for having summited.

The initial descent was quite twisty and then demanded a rather stiff climb to reach the Casse Deserte - stiff enough that I felt the effects of altitude on my effort. There then followed an incredibly long, cold, windy, finger-numbing ride down and outrun along the Combe du Queyras gorge (a storyline that has proven typical: descend the switchbacks to the valley then follow the river downstream).
approaching-the-serious-bitapproaching-the-serious-bitapproaching-the-serious-bit

When you see snow you know it's probably going to get steeper


In contrast to Izoard's, the climb to the Col de Vars started off with some heavy hauling at 9.6% before settling down to a more modest 7-8%. The kilometer marker even went negative at one point (something no cyclists likes to see) as the road dipped down into town before picking up again; it also started to get windy. In fact once at the summit the weather really started to pour over the mountains so I strove to get through the bumpy 10% descent on the other side in hopes of outrunning anything that might be coming in; fortunately nothing materialized.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

near-the-topnear-the-top
near-the-top

Look at the cyclist in the picture to get a sense of scale.
not-your-average-col-signnot-your-average-col-sign
not-your-average-col-sign

Surrounded by about 35 motorcyclists not in the picture.
col-de-varscol-de-vars
col-de-vars

Note the 10% grade on the way down.
a-good-reason-to-leavea-good-reason-to-leave
a-good-reason-to-leave

Potential weather spilling over the top
the-fort-de-tournouxthe-fort-de-tournoux
the-fort-de-tournoux

Rather than climb for a first-hand view I just looked at the promotional placards and decided that was sufficient.
french-postcardfrench-postcard
french-postcard

On the road to Barcelonnette


Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0782s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb