les St Maries-de-la-Mer


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur » Avignon
August 8th 2005
Published: August 8th 2005
Edit Blog Post

We are still in Arles. Yesterday we ventured by bus to a seaside town called les Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer. Its also French cowboy country and home to wild horses and flamingoes! It is a very unique place, full of tourists especially gypsys. The gypsys pilgrimage to St M's to honor their patron saint Sarah. The story goes that Sarah traveled by sea with Mary Magdalene and Mary Jacoby about 40 AC and washed ashore their. Sarah was a peasant girl. The beaches were beautiful but we quickly grew tired. After thinking we were going to tour the St M's church we entered into a spiraling up medievil stairwell to a fortress like balcony. Many where climbing further by climbing the roof too for a better view which was already good. After I climbed up it was a bigger challenge to come down and land on the ledge. It worked out and we spiraled back down and were grabbed by a couple gypsy ladies from my disabled side so I did not see them coming. Jenee began to yell which certainly adddd to all the perceptual challenges coming at me! Back on the bus it was interesting to observe all the bull ranches. I'd noticed bull stew on several menus!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.036s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb