Corrida


Advertisement
Published: May 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

One can be somewhat uncertain about going to a Corrida (bullfight). However, the rational in going to see this one in Arles was to see the event just once. And it was quite useful to have a veteran of many Corridas sitting alongside who explained all the detail and protocols. This gave some depth to the spectacle and perhaps, .. perhaps .. gave some favorable enlightenment on a process that is otherwise widely condemned. However, at the end, whichever way you look it, many more bulls die than matadors. One of the strangest aspects of the bull fight is where the bull was considered a 'bad bull' ie. it did not put up much of a fight. In this circumstance, the bull is 'boooed' when it is being dragged out dead by the horses. It seemed quite odd to 'booo' a dead bull. Nonetheless the crowd is equally quick to boo a bad matador and the classic matador mistake is where the final coup de grace of the bull is not achieved swiftly and accurately .. and, in a sense, humanely. Though many would of course debate this point.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

The crowd awards an 'ear'The crowd awards an 'ear'
The crowd awards an 'ear'

.. by waving white silk scarves around the arena .. a courageous matador performance is recognised thus.
The time is nigh ..The time is nigh ..
The time is nigh ..

As the bull progressively tires .. the matador will choose the time for the final coup .. when the bull finally lowers his head and exposes the crucial few square inches between its shoulder blades


Tot: 0.174s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1089s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb