Antibes - the Port and the Fort


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur » Antibes
October 11th 2014
Published: October 11th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Two of Antibes’ best known attractions owe their existence to Marshall Vauban (1633-1707), one of the most important men in military history.

A soldier’s soldier, humanitarian, social thinker, and engineer extraordinaire, he joined the army in his mid-twenties, rose swiftly, and became Maréchal de France in 1703. He devised a star-shaped fortress with moats, and without “blind spots” where attackers could hide, a style that was copied by military architects everywhere for two centuries. He built 33 forts and fortified towns in both the North and South, modernized weaponry and tactics, and personally directed 53 sieges during that era of protracted warfare.

Of significance to Antibes were the upgrading and extension of its fortifications, construction of the breakwater, improvements which made the existing fort virtually impregnable, and the creation of the military and commercial port which now bears his name.

Port Vauban

Originally a tiny haven at Antibes from which Crusaders left on their way to the Holy Lands, today Port Vauban is the largest marina in Europe. There are more than 2,000 places for pleasure craft, which range from modest sailboats all the way to many of the world’s most enormous private yachts; but 99 places nearest to the market are still reserved for fishermen. I’ve never seen so much extravagant wealth! The largest private yachts even have a separate reserved wharf. A guide told me that nobody can just sail in and rent a vacant spot: there aren’t any. Every spot is privately owned, and apparently the cost to buy one can be more than the value of the boat that is moored there, so some owners pass them on in their Will.

Fort Carré

This large star-shaped fortress stands on a hill overlooking the Mediterranean, the Port, and Old Antibes. Starting as a rudimentary fort in the 1500s, it was built up and improved over the centuries, most notably by Vauban in 1680. He redesigned and upgraded it, adding corner bastions, ports for 18 cannons, a chapel, Mess, kitchen, dormitory, oven, and a prison.

It remained in service as a military fort until 1895, with accommodations for 50 officers and men. During World War II it was used as a staging point for those headed to concentration camps. In 1997 Antibes bought it for possible use as a sports or youth centre, but it’s now a tourist attraction which the City is gradually refurnishing. For more information go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Carre%!C(MISSING)3%!A(MISSING)9 .

You can enlarge any of these pictures by just clicking on it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.27s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 21; qc: 102; dbt: 0.1273s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb