Adios Spain, Bonjour France!


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Poitou-Charentes » Poitiers
June 5th 2006
Published: June 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

FilipinosFilipinosFilipinos

Chocolate biscuits sold in Spain
We woke up to the best buffet breakfast today! Pastries, bacon, sausages, all types of cold meat, churros, different juices and even wholemeal bread! How could they get dinner so wrong and breakfast so right? Ah we don’t care and devour it all!

Today was the longest drive on the whole tour. 610kms!!! I am somewhat thankful that I am sick as I slept most of it from Bilbao to Poitiers.

Our lunch stop was at Bordeaux. As it was a special holiday, most things were closed. Only a few restaurants, cafes and souvenir shops were open for trading. We bought bbq chicken rolls from a take-away place and ate in the park with Michael and Luisa. The lady who served us couldn’t speak English so there was a lot of pointing, nodding, and thumbs up happening. Also in Europe they don’t understand what the word “Coke” is. They only understand “Coca Cola” or “Coca”. During lunch we watched a drunk Frenchmen make his way to the big fountain in the centre and have a bit of a wash. Don’t worry he was completely dressed the whole time! Afterwards we spent most our time looking for a toilet. We
Tiniest room yetTiniest room yetTiniest room yet

Todd tries to take a nap
finally found one that was part of a parking station. The most disgusting toilet yet! Lucky we did find it though. Some people didn’t eat any lunch because they spent it looking for a toilet.

Back on the bus we drive towards Poitiers. Everyone is glad to arrive. Not so glad…the rooms are TINY and the bathroom tinier again! I’m happy it’s only for one night. I’m crossing my fingers for a nice room in Paris. Todd and I wait for our bags to be delivered then head into the main city. We’re a couple minutes from the centre as the town is only very small. There are a few clothes shops, a department store, cinemas, pubs, restaurants and cafes. We buy a postcard from around the corner and meet a friendly Frenchman. Ahh they do exist! He tells us (so we think) to have a good time in Paris tomorrow.

Tonight’s dinner is included but is at a restaurant rather than at the hotel. The restaurant is about 200m away. We’re told we are being served steak for the main and chocolate mousse for dessert. We’re excited but try not to be. We’re just hoping there’s no fried egg and tomato sauce involved.

The dinner turns out to be great! Not an Aussie quality steak but the best one we’ve had in an included dinner. The chocolate mousse is delicious. Very rich but I eat it all anyway.

Dinner ends and the sun is still shining. I’m still not used to the late night sunsets! Todd, Michael, Luisa and I decide to look for the old part of town that everyone is talking about. Even with a map we get lost. I don’t think we saw the old city. We end up going to the big park in town. Todd and Michael talk about Survivor all the way there.

Finally we end up home at the hotel, take a shower in our tiny bathroom and sleep in our tiny room. I don’t think I even unpacked anything apart from my pjs. There wasn’t enough room to open my suitcase!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.188s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1196s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb