we're da fugawee


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Poitou-Charentes » Châtelaillon
August 31st 2007
Published: September 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Day 6 in the TTH (Trailer Trash Heaven)

Well we've made it as far as Chatelaillon- Plage in the Charente-Maratime. The campsite is called Port Punay. There is a small shellfishing village outside the gates with views to die for; especially at sunset as it faces due west. A boardwalk / cycle track takes you 1km back into Chatelaillon. We arrived here yesterday (thursday) from a great little town called Pontorson, about 8km from Mt Saint Michel in southern Normandy.

Pontorson was a great choice as a first stop on the trip. Its was and I am sure still is, about 150 km from Cherbourg where we sailed into on monday. By the way, Karl K, methinks the celtic link is the way from now on. Irish ferries were a nice crossing, big ship, but tiny berth and boy do you spend on board for junk and when you get to france it takes over an hour to get off the boat. Crossing not made any better by a herd of Kerrymen ruining the enjoyment of the match. Anyway 3 hours south of the ship, in lovely sunshine we arrived thanks to 'the Garmin' where we were aiming for at the fab camp Halitosis in Pontorson. Then it began.

Mon Ami at reception gave me the choice of pitches, having had a good look I chose no 91 a lovely site with a little shade and its own water and elec, perfect quelle chance. Pulled the wagon in and stuck her up to the axel in , as mon ami informed me the only patch of soft ground for 100 kms !! Bit late telling me now but at least he was able to rustle up a big french tractor and pull us off, or as I suggested out !! Got to settle in eventually and managed to stop the garcon frem telling everyone on the site we were stuck, unloaded the bikes and headed for the town to get wine !!
Lots of wine !!! 100m from the cave there was a strange hissing sound, followed by another. The 1st turned out to be my new tyre and tube objecting to french roads... the other, was just you know who sniggering! One new tyre tube pump and puncture repair kit, 2 glasses of vino, all was well again. Nothing else could go wrong now...😊

Spent the next few days getting acclimatised. Lay by the pool, visited the farm, cycled '9k' to Mont St Michel and back, just basically, relaxed! And planned our next stop. Decided to put in a long drive so settled for Chatelaillon about 250k away (or so it looked on the map - ahhemmm). Set off on Thursday morning about 11.30am. Filled up with gazole and hit the road. 11.35am, Garmin stopped working - dead- no hope of recovery - no idea! 11.40am bought map! 11.42am, bought Correct map. 11.45am took tablets and settled in to long mellow drive - ahhhhhhh.

Navigator fumbles with directions for next 350kms (or 7 hours) until we finally manage to get lost just in the place that we were looking for. Quelle chance!! Garcons new phrase is 'dob fyting'. Decided we were too hungry and put off killing each other till later. Everybodys entitled to a last meal. After a light repaste and a heavy session of wine and a beautiful sunset, felt tired but much better and headed for the scratchers.

Todays local market was huge and excellent. Had lovely lunch in beachside cafe accompanied by you know what. Repaired puncture to bike - going to be one of those trips! Then back to camp site for swim in pool with Evan. Having a wonderful time. By the way, local bar here selling tickets to see Ireland France game, it'll be a sell out, even in the bars. Bought new map for next move and hoping to leave here on Monday heading for St Emilion. Home of good wine. Going to pass through Cognac and Bordeaux on way.... anyone see a pattern here!!??? We'll talk to all in next few days again.

Things we miss from home to date:





Check out this link:
paddymurray.ie

Advertisement



1st September 2007

My God!
Still trying to figure out ho wrote that! Is it Orla who sometimes wounds like Howard? Or is it Howard, who sometines sounds like Orla? Scarey!!!! Love the little fella. Missing him already.
1st September 2007

God, I envy you all
Well there's s thing. When we met you in the club a few weeks ago, we kind of dashed off because our boss wanted to go to bed. So we didn't even know you were doing this. I am an utter and total Francofile,, I just adore the place. So if you're going anywhere near Montpellier or the Languedoc in general, let me know. I want to be even more jealous than I am already. I'll link your blog from mine today. All the best. We mean that. The very, very best of luck to you all.
7th September 2007

Ola!!!
Well hello to the wanderly wagon...and Howie and Evan!!!He he he...So good to hear from yiz! Everythin is just the same as you left it...mind you, the sun has decided to visit us, so that's nice!! Your house is still standing and the grass is shorter then what you left it...2 hrs 30mins later, that is!! Lets just say, it had a few "moments"!! But it's all good! The aul TV debut went...actually is still goin! 4 episodes down and 3 to go! It looks fine and i'm happy with it. Not exactly Shakespeare BUT it was it is and it's fine! Onwards and upwards, eh!! Will be headin over to the house on Saturday to watch the match and maybe have a beer or two!! Missin Evan loads!! It's crap playin "I'M GONNA GETCHA!!" on your own! Keep on hittin my head off the mirror! Anyway, BRING HIM BACK...it's for your brothers health, dammit!! Ha ha ha... Delighted it's all goin well for yiz! And i know exactly how you are feelin'! It's such a great thing to travel around a differant country with no real plan and hit the open road! Enjoy it, but not too much...Wexford is far enough, thank you very much!! ;-) Right, well i'm off to bed! Give "The Boss" a big hug from me and ask him to check out that washboard. Don't want him losin touch on the 6 pack he's been workin on!!! Love you loads and OF COURSE i'm missin the two of you aswell!! As they say in France Au Resevoir!! xxx

Tot: 0.146s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0784s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb