Nantes


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Pays-de-la-Loire » Nantes
September 11th 2010
Published: September 17th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We left Paris today for Nantes. The main reason for making the trip was to visit the war grave of Barry's great uncle Noel, from who Barry was given his middle name. Noel was killed there in world war 1.
We found the hotel very central and close to the town square. It is a lovely town, much quieter than Paris, which was a relief, and very attractive.
We decided to visit the grave the day we arrived in case we didn't have time the next day. We ended up getting a taxi there, asking the driver if he could pick us up in an hour, only to receive a curt "Non".
We found the grave without any trouble. It was sad to see that there were four Kiwis buried there so far from home. Noel was one of the oldest buried there at age 32, the youngest being only 19. There were also four Aussies buried there as well. The cemetery was bordered by a beautiful park with lovely lawns and ponds.
Luckily we managed to work out the bus system and ended up being dropped right on the street where the hotel was. We had dinner in a restaurant in the square, the next morning setting off for Belgium.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0715s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb