Food and Wine


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Pays-de-la-Loire » Nantes
May 6th 2007
Published: August 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Well the French part of the escape continues, after a quick trip up the Brittany coast and back to look at some castles, including a really neat citadel on the coast it was back to Nantes.

The bizarre thing about France is that most things are closed on a sunday sort of like we used to have a while back in Australia.

The novel experience for today was a trip to a restaurant, not just any old place for a meal this one. The menu has a choice of one thing, steak and fries, that's it steak and fries, the only choice you have is medium, well done or rare. Oh but you get a salad as an entree (just in case you were vegetarian!) The salad is my style, lettuce, a few walnuts and a mustard oil type dressing.

The salad arrives as the entree, then the main event arrives, steak thinly sliced with fries on a plate (this probably explains why the place was packed with people taking their grandparents out to lunch, bite sized pieces not much chewing needed). Plus another plate (heated by candles underneath) sits off to the side with more sliced steak on it ready to go. After you finish eating your first plate load the waitress comes around and puts another mound of fries on the plate so you have something to accompany the second round of the steak with.

Now you would think that a place with one item on the menu for entree and main would have a somewhat limited dessert menu, well if you call eighteen, yes that's right 18 items on the dessert menu, then it is limited. So it was only right to make a guts of myself and indulge.

As for my sampling of the local vino there has been mixed results, first tip, just because it comes in a bottle from Bordeaux it doesn't mean that it's a good drop. This may relate to my current policy of not paying more then 5 euros a bottle and my lack of understanding as to what is said on the back of the bottle, oh well the quest continues, might have to cast the net to 10 euro a bottle.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0797s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb