Friends and other animals


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Pays-de-la-Loire » La Tranche-sur-Mer
August 19th 2015
Published: August 19th 2015
Edit Blog Post

After having been aware of many covert conversations between my conspiring companions, your correspondent confronted them face to face. Wendy the Navigator and Cusco the Chief Spaniel, then announced their plans. They were of the opinion that a summer holiday was in order, a statement that left me somewhat speechless. A few weeks by the seaside were required to recharge batteries and the town of La Tranche sur Mer in Vendee had been chosen, so off we went.

While driving there, your correspondent was reminded of his happy holiday in Vendee with family when he was around 13 of our earth years old. Oh those were happy times. Almost dying during first ever asthma attack and having our possessions "borrowed" by the surrounding neighbours made it a memorable time.

I also spent some time wondering why this particular town had been chosen. This alongside reminiscing, made my driving somewhat dangerous to fellow users of the roads in these particular parts. To satisfy my curiosity, I asked Wendy about her choice and what would we do there for two and a half weeks. Well, she told me, to begin with we will meet up with Pete, Michelle, Megan, Ben and Ella, then we will meet up with Colette, Mattie and Eddie, before then meeting up with Graham, Sheila and Grace. I listened in amazement as this was all reeled off without drawing breath and started to realise that we may have a different definition of the word “holiday” !!!!.

Let us start with the arrival at camp and the skilful way that I managed to clip off the top right hand side break light on a passing tree and pull down someone’s washing. Indeed, so smoothly did I do this; that nobody even noticed – well apart from the owner of the washing and everybody else on the site who came over to see what the big crash noise involved. Soon, however, everybody was pacified and we settled into our pitch. While Wendy and Cusco went to explore, I was left to put up awning, put down mat, put up table and chairs, get electricity sorted and various other duties. At the start of our travels, these tasks would take a while to perform, but not now dear reader, oh no. It is not down to any improvement in my skills but down to the fact that the quicker I do them, the quicker I could start to drink beer and cider. The more awake of you will have noticed the addition of another drink as France produces cider in copious amounts, so I help out by trying to drink it all.

Our first guests were the Rugby contingent. They were staying somewhere in France so were able to pop by. Your correspondent enjoys meeting up with Pete, as there is a lot of football to talk about and a lot of beer to be drank. Sadly, Michelle was not feeling too good, so taking this into consideration, Pete and I drank at the van with the rest, rather than wandering off to the bar – what considerate chaps we are!!! Megan, Ben and Ella kept Cusco entertained and a pleasant afternoon was had sat in the sun. Around 5 of the clock, Ben announced he was a tad peckish as he had not been fed for a day or two (or so it seemed to him) , so our first foray to the pizza shack took place. This made everybody happy and silence reigned as they were promptly scoffed. Our guests had been holidaying in the vicinity for a fortnight and had not had the best of weather, so we tried to cheer them up by showing the forecast of bright sun for the next week – as they were going home the following day, this did not seem to make them as happy as us !!!!

Our next guests included Colette, who holds a first place which can never be beaten. The more observant of my dear readers will remember that she was our first visitor, on our first night of camping in Claude. Seems like so long ago now, but was only eight months ago. This time, instead of bringing freezing conditions including rain, she brought sunshine, warm weather, one of her two sons, her sister and her nephew. There have been a few times when your correspondent has looked into adding an escape tunnel to Claude. I had been sent out to buy some milk, as Wendy had thought that they would want tea and coffee with milk. No, dear readers, that is not what happened. They all started drinking my beer!!!! Indeed, when all had left apart from Colette (she had worked out that they were going to the supermarket, so stayed with us) she asked for more !! It is not often your correspondent panics, but this was one of these times.

Wendy had told Colette of a fantastic shop we had found that sold the freshest oysters and mussels which tasted delicious. This led to us being invited to their holiday home (villa) and for me to cook the above mentioned seafood for her whole family as they had never tasted them. Your correspondent had never cooked for that many and while the mussels are easy and quick to prepare, the opening of twenty oysters is both life threating (my oyster knife is extremely sharp) and time consuming. Despite this, and me having to show how to eat oysters, nobody was injured or ill and a fun, drunken night was had.

Our meeting with final group of amigos, involved a trip to La Rochelle in our hired car which was a car we hired from a car hire company. Thankfully, Graham, Sheila and Grace were also in La Rochelle, and we strolled around this old and wonderful town. Your correspondent enjoys meeting up with Graham as there is a lot of cricket and football to be talked of and a lot of beer to be drank. This time, Grace had announced that she would faint if she did not eat soon, so this time Graham and I stayed with the girls to drink at the restaurant, rather than wander off to a bar – what considerate chaps we are!!! Having said that we did sneak off when the girls explored the cathedral, but sadly they came out too quickly and we were caught gulping down a quick pint or two. To get out of trouble Graham had to buy his daughter most of a nearby sweetshop – this made Grace very happy.

The hiring of the car gave us the opportunity to explore the surrounding area and further afield. Locally we went to small towns, villages and their markets and also a trip to a supermarket which was required to replace my beer drunk by Colette. We visited La Roche sur Yon and inspected their marvellous mechanical animals, although Cusco gazed on them slightly suspiciously. A trip to St Gilles Croix de Vie and childhood memories was made and also, and in my view, the best trip was to Nantes.

Despite being hindered by our demented satnav – it seemed to think we were going to Nantwich – we managed to get close to the centre of the city and set off on foot to explore. A very grand, old place, with many a mile of cobbled street, we meandered up a hill to the cathedral. As we got here, we noticed a small road train, as seen in most cities nowadays, which to our delight allowed dogs on, so on we jumped, for a 45 minute tour of Nantes, with Cusco sat on my lap happily looking around and enjoying the breeze in his overtly thick fur. In fact, he became as big a draw as some of the sights as many people would stop and point at “le chien sur le train!!!”. On the tour we did notice a bar name which cast doubt on Cusco’s intelligence – photographic proof is included.

Cusco would like to point out that the highlight of his stay here, was being properly groomed by a professional. Yes dear readers, the poor hound could hardly see through his hair and was struggling badly in the heat. So, being good owners we waited until the temperature dropped significantly, and then gave him to a groomer to sort him out and, wow, did he look good when he was handed back. Sadly, the poor guy was now freezing, but you can’t win them all !!

After all these adventures, the three of us were settling down for a day of relaxation before heading off to our next destination the following morning. Oh no dear readers, there was one last throw of the dice, as Dan and Claire (the Brummies) arrived at our campsite. It may have been coincidence but I feel the hand of Wendy involved in this. We hadn’t seen them since the sunny days in Haro, getting very drunk on local rioja. Your correspondent enjoys meeting up with Dan, as there are many travelling tales to talk about and a lot of beer to be drank. On this occasion, the girls butted in and so, instead of going to the bar, we stayed in the van with them and drank beer, champagne, wine, sangria, and some more wine, swapping tales of since we had seen each other.



A happy end to a happy holiday.


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 28


Advertisement



19th August 2015

Had a great weekend in Nantes looks like you are having a fabulous time xxx

Tot: 0.252s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0838s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb