Paris and Tours


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Paris
July 13th 2010
Published: July 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Blog 3

After cancelled trains and delayed replacements requiring reservations (already booked up of course), we finally got ourselves situated on a train to Paris. Settled in to a comfy seat on a high speed train we got my iPod touch out to post an update on our blog- WiFi on these fancy shmancy trains y'know! Alas, the fancy shmancy was temporarily out of order...no such luck for an update!
So with much of the day lost to travel we finally arrived to Paris central station. Imagine what would happen if you mashed the Pearson airport with the Yorkdale mall and took away all signs leading to anywhere helpful...we looked like mice in a maze with no scent to follow. Apparently that came off quite clearly, as the nicest woman in Paris offered not only to give us directions, but to actually take us to the street we needed. It was at least 10 minutes of maneuvering through different levels, passages and escalators...we would have spent a day trying to get out on our own!!!
So we found our apartment...couldn't have been any cuter! Full kitchen, awesome bath (took some pictures to show you the cool faucets Alea!), and "bedroom". Actress settled in we headed out to explore Paris. We walked the island, along the canal, and then took a tour boat ride to see all the sights from the water. What a sight to see all the buildings (including the Eiffel Tower) all lit up at night!!! Beautiful pictures to come!!
The second day in Paris, rain is forecasted...but the rain doesn't know my Mom, so we put on our rains jackets and headed out on a self guided walking tour. All of 15-20 minutes later were plastered against a statue in an attempt to avoid the now torrential downpour. But damned if that would stop us, we hoofed the next 8km to see (and stand under) the Arc de Triomphe. We could have made a sizable donation to the canal with the water that came out of our running shoes. Back to the apartment to put everything in the dryer and have a hot shower. Almost back to some level of normalcy, we ate a quick bite and headed back out to try our luck with a bus tour of the city. A double decker took us around the sights, and sights we saw! Dozens of police and some kind of special forces (CRS) lined the streets in anticipation of the fireworks for Saint Bastille day. Full protection suits and weapons that strangely resembled bazookas were awfully intimidating...wonder what they were expecting...? 
Uninterested in fighting the insane masses for a view of the fireworks, we headed towards the ferris wheel ride to see the city from above before heading back to watch the fireworks from the comfort of a soft couch.
We left the next morning to pick up the car rental and explore the land of the castles. Wait, was that DRIVING...in...PaRIS?! oh yes folks, we're crazy like that!! Didn't get lost, go the wrong way up a one way street, or hit anyone....in a car that is. Haha! Just kidding! All went well!
Off to Tours, a solid trip and we were to the B&B on time. A super nice woman gave us the low down on the area and we headed out to explore Chenonceaux, highly recommended "must see". We got there just in time for the tours to stop running...some luck in our corner though, a night tour to start in an hour and a half. So we went in search if dinner in the most quaint little town you could imagine. We found the sweetest restaurant with the sweetest manager (owner?) and sat down to an unexpectedly divine meal. "You won't be at the castle in an hour," he says "a meal with me will take an hour and a half...but you're in luck! The castle will be open later, so you stay and eat." So we ate..an absolute thing of beauty. Eating is an event there.
We were back to the castle before they closed (again) and saw the the grounds lit up beautifully. As we've had a knack for catching things during renovations so far, some of the castle was being sand blasted...nevertheless, a spectacular walk!
On our way to Arles this morning we hit up another castle in Loches...an entire medieval town! Talk about breath taking! We toured dungeons, towers, keeps, the chateaux, church and town. Incredible. 
On to our cross-country trek to Arles. We decided to do some back roads to really explore the country side. We've seen medieval towns, ruins, castles, churches, festivals, fields of sunflowers (and other crops) as far as the eye can see. We went through a national volcanic park, an insane bridge over a gorge, 3 lengthy tunnels and actually saw the partridge (the infamous one in the pear tree). We've been through half a dozen dozens (that's French for a whole lot!) round abouts...we're getting good! Some driving tips for France:
1. You must have un co pilot intelligente.
2. Nerves of steel (that goes for the copilot as well!)
3. A sign with a town name that's crossed out means you are now leaving that town...there are more of these than signs that tell you when you are entering.
4. When going through round abouts, pick the city closest to your destination for the right direction...failing that, use eenie meanie minee moe. Do this quickly as there is not much patience for those who require round two).
5. If you see an exit sign with a gas station posted, do not assume there will actually be a gas station at that exit. 
6. Bumpers are for bumping. 
7. Those who honk won't likely appreciate your friendly "haven't seen you in forever!" Canadian wave.
8. When the speed limit drops 130km/hr in 500m and your world begins to flash, grab wallet, these roads are expensive!
9. An infinite sense of humor is a must.
10. Off the toll bays, do not assume that your map and your experience of the roads and towns will align. Roads change, towns hide, and streets can be reeeeeally challenging.
In conclusion, you will need to practice before you get here...we recommend Wii MarioKart. Focus on high speed to traffic transitions, switch back you-can't-be-serious! corners, and random 360's to really enforce your skills. 
After 12 hours in the car, nearing 1am, we're just about at our destination with no idea if we'll be able to get into our room...
 The happy travelers remain enthusiastic and energized by the possibilities of tomorrow. 😊

Advertisement



Tot: 0.24s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0524s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb