Visiting Versailles


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Paris
January 21st 2010
Published: January 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Versailles has been my dream of a lifetime. I have always wanted to visit it. Our first time there was too short and no way near to going inside as the queue was enormous and we made it too late unfortunately, just 30 minutes before closing time. On our first time we explored the gardens, which are open longer than the palace. This time we were determined to get inside the building so we started moving earlier. We suggest packing something to eat without, so you can enjoy a peaceful lunch in the garden however.

First thing in the morning, we moved to Train Terminal, which had RER C going through it (I believe it was Invalides). RER C train goes to Versailles, but mind you that there are two routes the line can take. Pay attention to the signs in train station, because at some point you may get on the wrong train which means you’ll take 1, 5 hour tour instead of 45 minutes. Not that there’s something wrong with it, just warning you. There are two signs both of them having “Versailles” in the beginning. So make sure you are going to the Versailles you want to go.

The main entrance into the palace is just about in the middle whereas the ticket office is in the left. And much to my surprise, the ticket line is like ten times shorter. Well, being a 24 year old European citizen has its advantages since your entrance is free. All you have to have with you is your passport. When I say ten times longer, I mean like a kilometer or so. The entrance queue was like a long line of thread let loose on a big floor. Since we are one of those people who hate waiting too long and being orderly in the meanwhile and add to it the fact that we had tried entering the palace once before, we kind of squeezed politely into the line like 20 meters before the borders, where you cannot do it this subtle any more.

Getting in is one thing, moving around in there is entirely another thing. Once again you are surrounded by loads of people so you have to keep moving. Well, I guess you can stay and stand at some points, but it can be really annoying and you need to be patient, because you are definitely going to get those “keep on moving, do not block” kind of looks. Well, truth to the matter, if you really want something, you don’t mind it. The parts you are allowed to enter are just immense, the paintings, wall-coverings, furniture and views to the garden. It’s beautiful, I cannot deny.

The palace is opened in very few places however. If you really want to embrace the architecture and history, the decorations and real stories behind it, it’s not worth it. I still dream of moving around in it with no restrictions. But let’s set this beside. Le Domaine de Marie-Antoinette is another story however. Yes, you cannot enter the buildings, but you are in a village. A small village built for Marie-Antoinette in 18th century. The village is small and has like eight houses all of them unique and small, all sufficiently but not excessively renovated. The houses are small and have no signs of modernization, the small gardens are neatly organized and even during winter you can guess and imagine the colorful surroundings visible in summer. The sad part is that the village is not clearly signed and directed towards from the palace. You get one sign and from there on you are left clueless moving right inside the gardens. The village is far right, about 3 kilometers from the palace so prepare for a long walk.

Together with the walk in the park and around the village the visit to Versailles can take a whole day (including waiting in both of the lines). Even though I was not entirely satisfied, I still recommend visiting this world’s largest palace. It’s something of a must see!

See more and browse pictures http://www.kristiinaweber.com/

Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0335s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb