WASTE, OR A LACK THEREOF


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Nord-Pas de Calais » Lille
October 2nd 2007
Published: October 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

I have been noticing something. Americans make a lot of trash. Especially compared to the French, who seem to produce next to none. I suppose this can be explained by several things.


* 1. They eat less. So they have less packaging, etc., to throw away. And, since their portions are smaller, they have less leftover food to be disposed of as well.
* 2. They shop more often and buy less, usually only buying what they need for the next few days. They use it, throw away the packaging, and get more only when they need it. The lack of stocking up probably makes it seem like they get rid of even less since it’s more evenly spread out.
* 3. Packaging in general is simpler and uses less material.
* 4. When you go to the grocery store here, there aren’t thousands of thin, plastic bags lined up and waiting for you at each register like in the States. You bring your own, reusable bags. Forgot? You can buy either a heavier plastic one or a very heavy-duty, plastic-cotton blend one at the front.


French people in general just seem to have less stuff. In almost every area. I fit right in with my suitcase, backpack, and duffel being all I have to my name in France.




Advertisement



Tot: 0.234s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.061s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb