Les Gorges du Tarn c'est gorgeous!


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Midi-Pyrénées » Haute-Garonne
May 20th 2014
Published: May 21st 2014
Edit Blog Post

Bonjour mes amies!

After our amazing tour around the Pyrenees we thought we would try another route following a tour around the valley, unfortunately Madame Sat Nag took us seriously wrong and we ended up about 2 km up a very steep leafy track in the hills with an even more steep slope on the right. There was nowhere to turn which is why we ended up so far up, thinking there MUST be somewhere we can turn, to no avail. We ended up walking back looking for a suitable spot. Ian found a place to try and it was my job to get out and direct him. With my heart in my mouth I tried to help but basically it was terrifying so we ended up with me walking in front of the reversing car and keeping an eye out whilst Ian reversed the whole way back down. Believe me when we got to the bottom we were both a bit wrecked. We found a lovely spot for a picnic recovery and to tell each other how clever we are to work as a team and get back with no mishaps. Monsieur is “well ‘ard” in my opinion -
Ian trying to reverseIan trying to reverseIan trying to reverse

He is hoping to use that little bit on the left of the photo to do a 3 point turn. Unfortunately, it did not work
I would never have been able to reverse down that muddy, slippery hill for 2 km! I must cook him an extra special dinner to let him know how amazing I think he is he he. I did Toulouse sausage with veg and puy lentils - he went to bed a happy chappie with a full belly!. x

We went to Notre Dame in Garaizon - it is a place of pilgrimage and for many French people it is used as a mini Lourdes. I can see why - the still quiet calm and the tiny grotto were something to behold. The paintings on the ceilings, some pictures of which I have posted were so descriptive and informative. Due to the lack of internet access I cannot look it up and tell you more - but would recommend you do. It is most certainly an off beat place to go to - it has lovely picnic spots and walks as well.

After 10 ten days we left Alex and the dogs in Sabarros and headed off towards the Les Gorges du Tarn in Langudeac Rousillion.

The changing terrain and architecture kept us interested as we drove towards and through Toulouse, stopping at Decathlon on the way! (Yes, Kieran and Becky we really did! - I think if Dad had seen Ikea we would have gone there as well tee he).

Things began to get very dramatic as we headed towards Les Vignes. We were very high up and it had a very alpine feel. As we zig-zagged down the Gorge to Les Vignes we stopped at a viewpoint beautiful wild lily of the valley and other alpine plants filled the air with scent. Then we seemed to turn a corner, and behold, Les Gorges du Tarn rose to meet us in all their glory. We were stunned at their majesty, we had no idea that it would be so spectacular.

We found our campsite Le Beldoire and found a very pretty little spot right next to the River Tarn with the Gorges looking down on us from the other side. The campsite is nice but the pitches, I think, are a bit squashed. We are fine because only people as crazy as us are camping at the moment so we have plenty of space! In fact, there are only us and a couple of Swiss guys on the whole site. Seriously though, I think it would be a nightmare in high season. Lovely for families and teens - lots of canoes floating down the river and nice walks, and very close to the village. Would be dangerous for little ones though. Also, I HATE communal toilets with no seat - all you girls will know what I mean. Again, I have been saved by the lack of crowds. But, if you are coming bring your loo wipes and loo roll because they don't have that either, a tip you will thank me for if you do come is all I can say! Also the wifi does not work, in fact it does not seem to work anywhere but hey ho, blogs may be few and far between until we rectify this.

Les Vignes, is of course, an enchanting little place lots of lovely views, bars, canoes for hire etc.

Today we followed a circular route which took from Les Vignes - Ste-Enimie - Meyrueis - Le Rozier - St Vignes

Monsieur treated me to lunch in Ste-Enimie, in a charming little cafe, we sat on the terrace and enjoyed the Plat du Jour menu for 12 euros each, it was beautifully cooked and presented. Monsieur had very rare beef with salad and sauté potatoes and I had pork with salad and sauté potatoes, followed by passion fruit sorbet pour moi and fromage fraise pour him, followed by coffee and a tasty little coconut thing to rid your mouth of the strong coffee taste I think. All the produce was local and very fresh, we both agreed it was one of the nicest meals we have had out. If you are in France and don’t speak French well, the Plat du Jour is a good bet and the quality of the meal for the price is outstanding. Monsieur et Madame love France - just in case you don’t know!

We then followed our route, basically we went up and up after Ste-Etiene until we passed over the top of the Gorge. We then found ourselves on a plain - we just did not expect this, we thought we would be going down the other side. We drove across it for about 40 km. It was very alpine with lots of verdant pastures and farms. Unusually, so far, the farmers were touting their
The tiny grottoThe tiny grottoThe tiny grotto

So peaceful and pretty
produce - with a variety of signs - canard, fromage, vin - yes even at 900 metres there were vines growing. The pastures were covered in wild flowers and the smells in the air were good for the soul is all I can say. Up there it felt very close to nature. As we continued the pastures became more like moors, a bit like massive Yorkshire moors but with a different light and fauna. The scenery was beyond description and we spent a lot of quiet time together just viewing the views as you ran out of things to say.

When we crossed the plain we began to wend our way down Gorge de Jonte and found ourselves in Meyruise, on the map all these places looked very small - but surprisingly they were lively thriving towns. A typical outdoor culture of shops, bars, with people enjoying each others company were a sight to behold as we drove through. We then came back via the Gorge Jonte, but this time lower down and following the river.

How to describe what we saw is difficult. We both agreed we had never seen scenery like it. Each moment, depending to the light, the sun, the time, your mindset, it changed. It was like being in a brothers Grimm fairy tale. The contours and formations of the rocks depicted faces, animals, plants, buildings just about anything that is tucked away in your collective unconscious.

Some of the rocks looked like all the monsters and demons of your childhood dreams and then around the next bend you saw smiling faces, totem poles, fairy castles and more. I was blown away and have to say it was one of the best days I have ever had. There were rocks that looked like old chateau, but they were rock. The trees, fauna, minerals and limestone all played tricks with your eyes and mind, and painted such a variety of art in all its forms. Some looked bleak and scary whilst others made you want to climb up and see them, just to convince you they really were rock and not what you imagined.

Apparently these rocks have been there for 4 million years and move 2 centimetres per century. Most will never have been touched or frequented by humans - thats is just such an amazing thought - I think. Its there, untouchable, and imagine what it has seen and witnessed over the centuries. Whoops! this is making me very philosophical, but hey why not!

I am posting lots of pictures so that you can see and judge for yourselves. It is a great place to visit and to bring older kids.

Memoires
Garaizon and the grotto
Dolly and Gypsy
Being terrified when stuck up the hill we should not have been up!
Camping by the River Tarn
Romantic lunch avec Monsieur
The Gorges
Driving across the Plain
The imaginary Art in the Gorges
EVERYTHING!

à bientôt
Monsieur et Madame
xx

ps if you ‘like’ my photos on the blog I may get another award - I already have one so my competitive self would like a few more! xxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 47, Displayed: 28


Advertisement

The presbeteryThe presbetery
The presbetery

The ceilings were wonderful
The five candles I lit burning brightlyThe five candles I lit burning brightly
The five candles I lit burning brightly

One for the Roberts family and its off shoots One for the Reilly family and its off shoots One for all our lovely neighbours and friends One for our beautiful Gemma, Conor, Lara and Alfie One for Steven Sutton and all sick young people
This is how we get our provisionsThis is how we get our provisions
This is how we get our provisions

This village does not have a road and the deliveries are dropped down this way and the villagers or visitors have to take a boat across.
Between Les Vignes and Ste-EnimieBetween Les Vignes and Ste-Enimie
Between Les Vignes and Ste-Enimie

A great view down the Gorge du Tarn
At 1200 metres looking downAt 1200 metres looking down
At 1200 metres looking down

This is higher than a Munroe in Scotland!!


21st May 2014

Lovely!
Hello mon Cheries!! Such lovely photo's! I am soooo jealous! Looks like you are having such a lovely time! Well done on reversing the car - I'm sure if it was me and Jimmy, we'd be heading for d.i.v.o.r.c.e.......!! We all miss you - even Clemmie asked if you were coming home soon! Have fun, lots of love, Gabs xxx
21st May 2014

We miss you all too
We talk about the girls EVERY day and miss them loads. Bet they are growing up fast xxxxxx
21st May 2014
The pilgrims filing in

Beautiful
Hello Guys!!! Soooooo transported by your photographs .... Head spinning with ideas- the colours and textures- are just WOW xxxxxx
21st May 2014
The pilgrims filing in

Hello my gorgeous mate
Yep it is amazing. Sorry for delay, getting on wifi is a bit of a mare. La Garaizon was to die for - I have more pics I will try to find a way of sending them to you. Hope you and Madame Bridge are well. xxxxx

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0339s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb