Rouen


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Lower Normandy
June 25th 2006
Published: July 8th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We managed to get to Paris after 5 airports and 36 hrs of traveling. We arrived Saturday evening about 6pm. It was then straight to hotel to get some sleep!

Sunday - we had the mission of picking up the car and heading to Rouen. Heading to Rouen easy - picking up the car from the airport and driving back to the hotel - took about an hour half. Putting this into perspective our hotel was 2.8 km away from the airport. We got so lost!

Anyway, by midday we were on our way to Rouen, which took abut 2 hours heading towards the North West of Paris. Part of the Normandy province, Rouen is well known for its Gothic architecture, Cathedrale of Notre Dame, and the place of where Joan of Arc was executed at the ripe old age of 19.

The cathedrale is absolutely amazing, there was a church service taking place when we walked in, it felt a bit rude taking out my camera and start taking some shots. It been ages since I have been inside a church but the familiar scent of incense and site of burning candles was the first thing I noticed. The second thing was the acoustic sound and the vastness of the cathedrale.

We headed down towards the site where Joan of Arc was executed, and take it the local atmosphere. Stopping at a local bar Greg ordered himself a beer and me champagne (we couldn’t remember how to ask for white wine.)

Our accommodation is very basic, but right is the centre of Rouen, with the Gros Horloge the medieval clock with just one hand is 100 metres away.

Things I’ve noticed that are a lot different from, is that hardly anything is open on Sundays. All the grocery stores and clothing shops are closed (a sigh of relief from GD and the Visa Card)



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.219s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0433s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb