Mont Saint-Michel


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Lower Normandy » Mont Saint-Michel
June 8th 2011
Published: June 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Mont Saint-MichelMont Saint-MichelMont Saint-Michel

Beautiful on the outside, not so much in the inside.
Just by searching for the image of Mont Saint-Michel on Google, you will realize that at one point in your life, you must see this place in person. Just by looking at the whole facade of the island, it is very mind-blowing and weird. As a huge Final Fantasy fan, this is one of those places that I can easily picture seeing at any FF games, so there is no doubt that I had to visit this place.

My visit to Mont Saint-Michel was basically a daytrip from Paris. Yes, it can be done - it's feasible, but you have to be concerned with time management. Not only do you have to take a 2 hour train, you also have to take an hour bus ride (and that is only the one way trip alone). My day starts in a 2 hour train ride from Gare Montparnasse in Paris to the city of Rennes. I left Paris at 7:05 (yes it's that early), and the prices of the roundtrip tickets were no joke at all. The one-way ticket costs 72.90 Euros (enough to feed you for a month BTW), including the bus fare that will take you from Rennes to Mont Saint-Michel. It was a risky decision spending 146 Euros just to see an island in the middle of nowhere, but like the saying goes, "I'd rather regret doing it that regret not doing it." (I forgot how the real quote goes, LOL)

The best thing about the train and the bus ride is it will give you the chance to see a different side of France. Just by looking out the window, you will see endless rows of vineyards, farms, and small towns - sights that are very typical on the countryside. That was enough reason for me why spending that much money for a daytrip to Mont Saint-Michel is worth it.

Arriving at Mont Saint-Michel, I was easily awestruck by the whole structure of the island - too bad the weather was pretty bad. It was a totally rainy and cold day, although the rain stopped at certain times. I started walking at the one and only path of the island, which instantly gave me a medieval vibe. Every step I take makes me feel like I'm back during the old times - cobblestone paths, craggy edges, wooden houses, and ancient sites make up most of
A drive on the French countrysideA drive on the French countrysideA drive on the French countryside

Doesn't get any better than this.
the island.

Perhaps the most popular (and by popular, I mean THE ONLY ONE) attraction of the island is the Abbey of Mont Saint-Michel itself, which gives the island a shape. A single adult ticket will cost you 9 Euros, and it will take you approximately an hour to see every corner of the whole place. Exploring the place was like being in a real castle, which, I have to say, was pretty cool to experience, since I've never really been to a place that looked so legit as this one. (disregarding the tourist traffic BTW)

The downside? Again with the weather; if you're arriving there on a cold and rainy day, you're in bad luck. Cold winds can get intense since it passes through narrow paths, making the wind even stronger. But perhaps the most disappointing part of this trip is the fact that the places you will see there are actually just souvenir shops & modern restaurants, which kinda erases the whole island's feel. No signs of village or medieval life at all; just places that were built to attract tourists, and the only real inhabitants are the people who work there. The restaurants, not to
Narrow streetNarrow streetNarrow street

Nothing but souvenir shops & restaurants wherever you look.
mention, were pretty tad expensive (imagine paying 20 Euros for an omelette just because ~*it is made very special*~).

But if you must visit Mont Saint-Michel, I can honestly say that it really is a must-visit, but only once in your lifetime. Once you feel the real essence of the island (and by essence I mean the heavy tourist traps there), you may not want to come back again.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Hot churrosHot churros
Hot churros

The perfect snack to munch on a cold & rainy day.


Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0338s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb