Reflections on Languedoc-Roussillon


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Languedoc-Roussillon » Aude » Montlaur
September 21st 2009
Published: September 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Alas we are on the train back to Paris. The notion that our holiday is nearing its end is most disturbing, so it is appropriate that we take this time to reflect on our activities whilst in the region. Our first excursion included a vide grenier (empty attic sale in Trebes). It is reassuring to know that car boot sales and flea markets around the world are remarkably similar. I found a couple of bargains including a tripod and some jewellery. Our friend Ingrid found an enormous copper pot for our host and we concluded the day with a quiet drink accompanied by some spanish style music.


The next day saw a trip to La Grasse and thanks to some dodgy navigation ... visits to Termes, Couiza, Limoux and dinner of Cassuolet at Castlenaudry. In Limoux, we tried and Mary purchased some blanquette. Then we had a quick look at St Hilaire. I think my navigating is trying Mary’s patience. I drove home from Castlenaudry and only gave the folk of Carcassonne some drama once when I turned onto the wrong side of the road at a set of traffic lights. This driving on the opposite side of the road is really challenging as you keep looking for traffic in all the wrong places and you keep thinking right is left and vice versa. Suffice to say, this was my last attempt at driving.


Collioure was the aim for Wednesday. We were accompanied by our Aussie friend Ingrid. It is a seaside town known primarily for its concentration of artists. First thing we did was rebalance the caffeine levels in a café overlooking the beach. We were remarking how spoilt we were having Queensland beaches when the waiter(?) used his best aussie accent to identify himself as Australian. After wandering around the foreshore and streets, we lunched in a little restaurant in the town square. We all ate mussel soup with crusty bread for an entrée. The main was a choice of Poulet (chicken) and Mary chose baked sardines. I know you are green with envy Ross and green for other reasons Helen B.


After lunch, we wandered the arcades and streets taking in the various exhibitions before heading home via the scenic route. We drove through Quillan (pronounced Kee-ann) and saw some of the most beautiful countryside which makes up the Pyrennees. Winding roads carved into the sides of mountains taking us under outcrops of rock, through tunnels and alongside ravines and rivers where canoeing was offered.




Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



22nd September 2009

Nearing the end
If you're doing a retrospective may we do one too - thanks for all the descriptions and photos of places which we have never seen. You've brought them to us via a click of the mouse and how wonderful has that been. I hope you're facing the right way on the train this time Joss. The sale in the attic sounds great and so do the baked sardines although Ev would disagree.

Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0249s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb