New Years in Paris


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
January 1st 2017
Published: January 2nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

After a rest in our room we left the hotel at about 11 PM. Most of the flow of people seemed to be towards the Champs Elysees, and the Eiffel was half cloaked in thick fog, so that's the way we went too. At the Roosevelt circle we had to go through a security check, just like on Independence Day back home. All the stalls were closed, which was strange as the place was crowded. I guess they aren't allowed to open now.

The Champs Elysees was closed to vehicles, as were all the streets leading to it. We saw the tail end of some Mongolian street performers dancing with ribbons on their hats. Interesting! Then we followed the flow of people up the Champs towards the Arc de Triomf.

Along the way there were giant screens showing the Arc, and a light show started on the Arc at about 20 minutes to midnight. The light show wasn't very good, or maybe we just have higher expectations. I mean the quality of the lights was great, but the content was plain, uninspired.



The more we neared the Arc the more crowded it became, until, about half way there we couldn't move any further. Very claustrophobic and unpleasant. We decided to escape the crush and move further back. Had to push our way through the crowds but we did manage to move back and find a spot where we could breathe.

As midnight approached the crowd's cheers grew louder, and on the dot of midnight the fireworks started over the Arc de Triomf. Impressive at first, but they didn't last very long. I dunno, I guess we expected more in the center of the City of Lights.

The crowds didn't wait around any longer than necessary either, and we followed them back the way we came, arriving at the hotel at around 12:30 AM. Into bed for a few hours' sleep, tomorrow (today actually) we fly back home!

This morning we finished packing and had our last breakfast in Paris. Now it's off to the airport and home again.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0618s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb