Day 2 Paris – Hôtel des Invalides


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
December 3rd 2013
Published: April 30th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Day 2 Paris – Hôtel des Invalides


One of stops on the hop-on-hop-off bus was the Hôtel des Invalides. I went twice – once on the first round of the bus, and once again when the bus came back to the area.

The trip went past my hotel and through some pretty cool streets. At one point, I looked over the edge of the bus and saw what I presume is a typical Parisian sight – someone riding a bike with baguettes on the back!

When I came back in the afternoon, I walked from the southern entrance, to the northern entrance.

In the Cour d'honneur was a police parade. Some people were getting awards of some sort.

The front entrance (northern end) has a magnificent façade that looks over towards the Seine, and a very ornate gate. There is also a park between the Invalides and the river.

Louis XIV initiated the project by an order dated 24 November 1670, as a home and hospital for aged and unwell soldiers. The complex contains museums and monuments, all relating to the military history of France, as well as a hospital and a retirement home for war veterans.


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0573s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb