Paris: The Good Times, The Bad Times


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
September 28th 2006
Published: October 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Shiz and Kiz by the Eiffel TowerShiz and Kiz by the Eiffel TowerShiz and Kiz by the Eiffel Tower

This picture was taken right after the crazy German proposed.

Bonjour!



This is my first attempt at travel blogging, so excuse any typos, or aesthetically displeasing graphics. This thing is un peu difficile to use.

So Shelly (for those of you who don't know the Shiz, she is one of my oldest friend from Furman and is also teaching in the region of Poitiers) and I finally met up in the airport after her plane had been delayed two hours. After filing a request for the delivery of her lost bag, we lugged our 70 lb. suitcases down the stairs of the metro (mine broke in the process) and made our way to the Absolute Paris Hostel.

Oh the Absolute. While Shiz and I owe our fantastic new international friendships to the Absolute, and despite their amiable receptionists, clean towels, and free-bread-all-day service, the Absolute had one unforgivable aminity . . . bed bugs. Big, ugly, bed bugs. The bites weren't visible until we left Paris, but once we got to Chatellerault we were ridden. After a trip the pharmacy and several applications of cortisol cream, we are healing nicely. Lesson learned, Absolute Hostel = itchy, ugly, bug bites. Stay away.

On to the good times.
At the CatacombsAt the CatacombsAt the Catacombs

Bones as far as the eye can see.

Shelly and I saw a lot of Paris's amazing sights, so to keep it short, I'll just list them

* Notre Dame
* Sacre Coeur
* Le Louvre
* Musée d'Orsay
* Montmartre
* Latin Quarter
* Le Tour Eiffel
*Catacombs (very spooky)
* Père LaChaise
* St. Chapelle
* L'Arc de Triumphe
* Champs Elysées

One of our favorite activities, though, has been taking a bike tour around the city. We went with a company called French Connection, two guys who took about 7 tourists on a 3.5 hour ride. It was amazing and so much fun. After riding the metro for a few days, you forget how beautiful the city really is. We finally got above ground long enough to see it! So next time you're in Paris, do the French Connection tour. It's worth every penny.

That's all for now . . . much more to come



Advertisement



2nd October 2006

Yay Paris!
Awww...what stories you'll have! I mean, what fun would traveling be if nothing bad ever happened? But sorry about the bedbugs. I love you! I miss you so much!
9th October 2006

Mom
The Eiffel Tower makes a great backdrop for you ! Can wait to see Confolens!

Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0377s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb