Day 9


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
May 27th 2015
Published: May 28th 2015
Edit Blog Post

On foot again we had an hour walk to meet our tour guide at the Eiffel Tower.

Weather is improving and it is a pleasant day today.

We were lucky enough to get a young Aussie guide from Sydney, who had obviously studied French and European history.

He was fantastic, as we learnt all about the tower,why it was built, when it was built etc.

We also found the history on most of the structures and monuments you can see from the tower.

Notice the skyscraper in the first pic. This was a big mistake by the government of the day who thought they need skyscraper. 7 were planned but only one built, after they saw how it changed the Parisian skyline.

For lunch we have a baguette and get some fresh crepes made with bananas, strawberries and Nutella. They were yum.

Along the way back we visit the Grande Palais and the Petit Palais,which were both built for the world fairs they used to hold, as was the Eiffel Tower.

The bridge to the Palais have four statues with gold lions also done for the world fairs to attract visitors.

Both palais are now used for arts and the Petit was holding an exhibition which we found interesting. I suppose it has wet our appetite for the Louvre. Michelle looks small against the huge painting in the picture.

Continuing home Michelle is still drawn to these bridges with padlocks all over them.

She finds someone selling padlocks and I know I can't hide.

At 4 euros she tells me it's good value, eventually I fold.

After a short break, we get our second wind and head out for the evening.

Still having cafe dinners as there are endless to choose from.

After dinner down to the river and catch the sunset, with many boats out for there night cruises.

Forgot to mention the tight security all day around our area as they are having a memorial for the cartoonists who were assassinated a short time ago.

It probably didn't make the Aussie news but the French president was in attendance.

As it was at the Panthneon right behind us, we venture up about 10 pm and watch the crowds gather for a night service.

Everything seems to happen late in Paris.

We also caught the top of the Eiffel tower light show which goes for 5 mins every hour.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



28th May 2015

Padlocks
Told you it was a romantic city
28th May 2015

Padlocks
Told you it was a romantic city
28th May 2015

padlock!
Diggo - we need to have a chat -I'm concerned about you padlock today, pics of kissing your wife the next!
29th May 2015

Hi tourists showed mum & dad your photos so far sounds like you both are having fun

Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0247s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb