Can't get enough of Paris


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
May 9th 2013
Published: May 25th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Paris has always been one of my favourite cities; I think it always will be. I’ve often thought about moving back to France and if I do, Paris would have to be where I go. Trying to convince my French boyfriend to move back to France is quite another thing. So, for the three days we had in Paris, my mission was to convince him that it would be a good place for us to live for a while.

We took the Eurostar from London to Paris, and while it was a tad more expensive than flying it was much more convenient; you get it right from the centre of London and arrive in the centre of Paris. No mucking around with getting to and from airports – especially the really far away airports the cheaper airlines use, which end up taking hours out of your day getting to and from. You still need to check in early for the Eurostar because it’s kind of like taking a plane; they scan your baggage and check your passports. But once you’re on, you’re on, and it’s a speedy 2 hours and 45 minutes before you’re in Paris central. Admittedly, I did have a bit of a mental freak out at the thought of going under water in a train, but you really don’t notice it and the underwater bit is over in 20 minutes.

Every second we were in Paris was exciting. And while we did do a few touristic things – visit Sacre Coeur, pictures in front of the Eiffel Tower – in the three days we spent there, we also just wandered around imagining what it would be like if it were our city. Imagining if we could really live there.

We walked along the Seine, through beautiful gardens, went to an exhibition, went shopping, and ate out at a lot of restaurants. It was really lovely, and like I’d felt previously on the trip, I really wished we could have stayed longer.

But I completed my mission. At the end of our stay JB agreed that it would in fact be a good place to live, just for a bit. It wouldn’t be for a while, but looks like it’s definitely something we’ll be considering in the next few years. Comparatively, Paris isn’t really any more expensive than Sydney. The rent is about the same,
French onion soupFrench onion soupFrench onion soup

Where of course in France they just call it onion soup. Absolutely delicious and perfect for a chilly day!
eating out is about the same if not cheaper, and groceries are definitely cheaper. Wages, on the other hand, tend to be quite a bit lower in France, so that would be a big turn-off. Then there’s the ol’ getting a job problem that so many people in France seem to have right now, so that would obviously be the biggest hurdle.

It’s definitely not going to happen overnight, but my dream of living in a cute little Parisian apartment one day might just become a reality.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

MontmartreMontmartre
Montmartre

Selling Tolouse-Lautrec prints. I know it's a seedy suburb in places but I think Montmartre is still one of my favourite areas in Paris. If we could somehow manage to live there I would be so happy.
Sacre CoeurSacre Coeur
Sacre Coeur

This guy stood on a pillar way up high at Sacre Coeur and did some amazing tricks with a soccer ball.


Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0598s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb